Facelifted Macan

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I think if you want a good fit engine package to bump up the spec of a base spec Macan, then you'd more likely see the 300+PS I4 from the S3 - although that's knocking seriously on the door of the Macan S performance.. Who knows
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

VanB

Post by VanB »

More likely de-tuned to around 280 hp I would think. Porsche generally don't make big bumps in hp and a 50 hp bump over the current 250 in the base would be a step too far.

For the same reason I think the SD will go to a similar figure with a probable sizeable step in torque to accompany it.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Talking about engines the new Audi RS5 will have the 2.9l from the Panamera. Producing around 440+ hp
I wonder how many future engines will be designed to fit in both Porsche and Audi?

GTS 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

As they seem to be "jointly developing" engines I suspect quite a few if not all will eventually be available in both marques which will blur the edges even further. Porsche run the risk of losing their premium badge status and could become lumped in with Audi and BMW if not careful. Some would say they are already heading in that direction with the Cayenne and Macan.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I agree with this, regarding the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera.

I think that they will retain Porsche only engines for the 911, Cayman and Boxster though...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

As they seem to be "jointly developing" engines I suspect quite a few if not all will eventually be available in both marques which will blur the edges even further. Porsche run the risk of losing their premium badge status and could become lumped in with Audi and BMW if not careful. Some would say they are already heading in that direction with the Cayenne and Macan.

I'd say the premium status dropped long ago... or rather there's been a convergence.

It used to be BMW for normal and M division for sporty stuff, now everything has an "M" badge, devaluing the real M.

It used to be Audi for normal and quattro for sporty (R and RS) stuff, but then (I think) it was the RS3 that was made by Audi instead of quattro. Now quattro has become "Audi Sport"

Similar with Mercedes and AMG.

What I think happened with Porsche is the same but confusing because they're both called Porsche. But the proper sports brand make the GT2, GT3, GT4 and then everything else is lumped together under the other Porsche. After all, there's not much similarity between a 991.2 C2 and a 991.2 GT3.

But... Audi Sport (nee quattro) make some bloody good engines and transmissions and if they end up in Porsches, Golfs, Skodas, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, then who's to complain?

Porsche proper sports cars (GT2 GT3 GT4 - sorry, GTS doesn't count) still have those NA engines largely homologated with motorsport and that gives them kudos.

What does it all mean? Well if you want a good sport(s|y) car, make sure it's been breathed on by the proper sport divisions, regardless of which brand it came from.

Of course, most people don't know any of this and voice their prejudices "I want a proper Porsche engine!" etc.

goron592017-05-10 17:53:01
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
VanB

Post by VanB »

I can't argue with that, Goron in the same way that AMG has been devalued.

Realistically it's not a huge issue if the driving dynamics remain measurably better it's all helping to save costs so that will keep the prices down (yeah right)! If there becomes negligible gap between the marques in terms of drivers' enjoyment, luxury/fit & finish there becomes no compelling reason to buy one over the other and Porsche will cease to be the most profitable car company (per unit sold) in the world.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Looks just the same to me!
After a quick look at the pics, my thoughts too.

I'll be pleased if it looks almost the same on the outside. It's the insde I want to improved, esp the instrument cluster/display. It looks good when lit up with sidelights on, it should be lit permanently at the very least. A TFT display would be even better. My deposit will be burning a hole in my bank account.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

Porsche won't light the dials, because the dials look the same when lit irrespective of the background colour, so they won't be able to charge people £300+ for coloured dials.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016