A9 Montpellier - caution!

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

We left Spain this morning and on entering France drove east to Montpellier having programmed Heidi with address details for a hotel just NW of the city centre. As some of you may know the A9 has been subject to 'upgrading' recently. This work looks like it's been completed but Heidi doesn't appear to know yet! As we approached from the west Heidi was saying about 9km until the next junction. At about the same moment as her message there was junction and a peage for Montpellier centre. She gave no warning about a junction or a peage. Believing Heidi (and despite Mrs Ds protestations which went on for a wee while!) I carried on. There then appeared to be two roads running alongside each other - effectively 2 A9s! ! As we went on Heidi instructed us to aforesaid junction which it seemed was relevant to the one (old) road but not to the (new) one we were on!

¥*€#%$n!

Heidi by this time had gone beserk! The main display kept flipping from meaningless map to meaningless map whilst the mini drivers version said 'off road'. This carried on for about 20 km until the 'two' A9s merged and Heidi took us off at the first available junction (very nearly in Nimes) and sent us back along the A9 - westwards.

As we eventually, again, began to approach Montpellier, and with the visible prospect of two A9s, she was going to play the same trick again but, now wiser, we engaged old-fashioned logic and followed the road signs until Heidi picked it up again. She now led us perfectly to our destination.

But beware Heidi cannot yet tell the difference between one A9 and 'tother. She clearly thinks the work in still ongoing.

The whole episode cost us about 45 minutes and a lot of muttering from seat #2! 🙄
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I had a similar experience during our recent trip. Can't remember now where it was but there was a new road alongside the old one for quite a few kilometres and the satnav got totally confused. Fortunately I realised what was happening so we stuck to the new road. Satnav sulked for a long time before recovering its composure.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Surely you guys had an Analogue GPS with you as a backup?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Lots of satnavs do this. They all use position error correction to place you on a road they know exist. If it doesn't, or can't be sure, it puts you on the wrong, adjacent one or just off road.

Rule of thumb. If the road is new, or there are many roadworks, look at the road signs and listen to your wife.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Not sure if it's on your route, but worth a detour in any case, take a trip up the A75 to the Millau Viaduct. Amazing structure, both to look at and to drive over.

IMG_3127.jpg

Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

That's been on my 'must see' list for a long time.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

goron59 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 am Lots of satnavs do this. They all use position error correction to place you on a road they know exist. If it doesn't, or can't be sure, it puts you on the wrong, adjacent one or just off road.

Rule of thumb. If the road is new, or there are many roadworks, look at the road signs and listen to your wife.
There really is no substitute for retrospective advice. 😳 😀
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

jk88 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:52 am Not sure if it's on your route, but worth a detour in any case, take a trip up the A75 to the Millau Viaduct. Amazing structure, both to look at and to drive over.

IMG_3127.jpg

Yes jk, that is on the route - it just has to be! then nw across country via Rodez to pick up the A20. As Mrs D is not keen on heights the idea has not gone down too well, though. 🙄
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

You just reminded me this was on my list of things to do. It's only 2 hrs from our house in France and never been. Just booked a nice hotel there for my wife's birthday when out there in August, so thanks for the reminder! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Dandock wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm
goron59 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 am Lots of satnavs do this. They all use position error correction to place you on a road they know exist. If it doesn't, or can't be sure, it puts you on the wrong, adjacent one or just off road.

There really is no substitute for retrospective advice. 😳 😀
Yes, but sometimes one needs to mess this up several times before the retrospective advice kicks in :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR