Not totally convinced - another Panny review

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Like several others, and prompted by Mrs D seeing Wingco's car at Beaulieu, we took a Panny out for several hours today - a Carmine too! It's not a car I'd previously considered but felt we needed to have a look, if only to determine whether Mrs D (and her bad back) could successfully get in and out, and how she would find the ride. Conclusion - not for us.

The car was a specced to the hilt diesel 4S on 21s - and they were immediately a problem. The quality of ride and the amount of thumping and road noise just wasn't expected. We also both had difficulty finding a comfortable seat set-up - they were 14-ways. I've sat and driven every other model line and never previously had issue but this time I just couldn't nail it and neither could Mrs D. Now I know there are milllions of permutations of adjustment so maybe, despite micro-managing all day, we just didn't find 'it'. We both expected, maybe wrongly, that the seats would be all-but identical to the Macan's. There seemed to be a ridge just below the shoulder blades that really shouldn't have been there. That aside they also felt quite hard.

Other issues. I thought the throttle pedal lacked some feel: the instrument binnacle is just too crowded with some elements (indicator repeaters and speed limit reading) obscured: and, of course, that whole central section.

Now I'm sure Wingco will tell me that it makes sense given time but the abiding memory is 'confusing'. I'm sorry but no matter how ergonomic and user-friendly it may pupport to be the basic premise of having to take ones eyes off the road does not sit well with me. And sadly this element will surely be carried through to the new (but delayed) Cayenne and the facelifted Macan whenever that now appears. (Delays due I was told by e-Mission related factory upgrades)

I must mention also the very dieselly noises at low speed.

All this said it is a mighty performer. Never for one moment did I feel I was at the wheel of a 2 ton monster. With the 4-wheel steering it just swept along those Cotswold lanes staying flat and balanced and coping brilliantly and uncomplainingly with some occasional late downhill breaking. And the torque driven acceleration is just phenomenal.

I know sample stock is limited but our impression has surely been clouded by those 21s.

Finally... we were not at all impressed by the new SA we dealt with at Tewkesbury. When we told him of our decision to wait for the next gen Macan he said it wouldn't be as good (as the current one or the Panny we can't be sure) then, albeit I was talking to the Service Manager, he turned and walked away without saying goodbye.

And they didn't even give Kitty as wash! Really miffed! 😡
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Interesting reading Mike, many thanks for the write up.

So that make 2 to 1 against a Panny.

I am at a Range day at the PEC on Monday and a Panny is number one on my list to check out.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I certainly enjoyed my drive in the diesel Panamera. Not sure what size wheels we had but the ride seemed fine.

Still love my Macan though :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Oh dear, Mike. Sorry to hear of your disappointing trip to Tewkesbury, on all three counts! (Test drive, no wash for Kitty and an underwhelming SE).

I note that Luke tested the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and you tested the 4SD. All cars are different. Mine is a traditional petrol, lighter than both of the above models and with different seats to those that you tried, Mike. Although mine has the same 21" 911 Turbo wheels as the 4SD and the same red paint! ;) Indeed I have driven hundreds of miles in that SD and it is the very car that inspired me to go Carmine Red!

Maybe I am easily pleased, but I love my Panamera, which is currently gleaming in the evening sunshine after a good wash! 💦 ☀️ 😎
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good news, Mike! Tewkesbury have a pre-owned Panamera (new model) for sale as their featured car of the week! You might like several things about it:

1. It has 20" wheels and not 21"s.
2. It has different seats (18 way).
3. It is Volcano Grey.
4. It is a V8 Turbo.

;)

IMG_1808.JPG

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Daft money as well
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I had a Panamera 4SD for a day and liked it although I did struggle to find a comfortable setup with the seats. I am not sure which ones they were, but probably 14 or 18 way. Otherwise it was great!
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

That 4S in Tewkesbury is a bit pricey - £104k!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Make no mistake I did enjoy driving it. I loved its balance and poise - it's a thoroughly capable machine and I'm sure it undoubtedly outperforms the Macan over a given stretch of road. And I agree that the 18-ways may well make a difference in that area. And believe that the 20s would improve that area but without a platform to experience them it remains theoretical. OPCs can't have everything but I'm not going to commit with a view to trying to work it out over 2 or 3 hours at PEC.

I can appreciate your point of view, Simon - I did notice the vast mileage - and wonder whether your coming from a 911 made a difference - the longer wheelbase of the Pan must make for a better ride. Once we got back in the Macan, though, it really did feel a so much smoother ride and the seats were very definitely more comfortable.

We also have to keep budgets in mind. We had a look over the turbo earlier this week prior to prepping and it IS very nice - but £130K 😂😂😂

Right now we're going to wait for whenever the new Macan comes along - with or without the dreaded central console 😂 Meanwhile I'll be getting the buckets out for the weekend.

IMG_0511.JPG

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀