Cleaner roads? Dyson to make EV

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 pm Spy shot of the prototype...
:lol: :lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Just make a electric version of the Macan, mine hoovers enough muck off the road onto its rear to easily outdo most vacuum cleaners!
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Much of the research I’ve read about EVs speculates that the dominant market force in EVs in the future will likely be from a non-automotive background and possibly a company we’ve either never heard off or doesn’t yet exist today. Good luck to Dyson ... the more innovators the better in my view!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

I hope they won't be built in Malayasia like the rest of his products. "Hoovering along in a Dyson" would make a great jingle. :D
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
johnd

Post by johnd »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 am Much of the research I’ve read about EVs speculates that the dominant market force in EVs in the future will likely be from a non-automotive background and possibly a company we’ve either never heard off or doesn’t yet exist today. Good luck to Dyson ... the more innovators the better in my view!
What's the logic in that - it doesn't seem very intuitive? Selling cars is surely a lot more than just about what provides the motive power (assuming that the existing makers can adjust their designs to accommodate the new packaging constraints and freedoms). Don't you also need to have the know-how to meet all regulatory requirements, to manufacture at scale, to have a sales/service network and so on?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

johnd wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:51 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 am Much of the research I’ve read about EVs speculates that the dominant market force in EVs in the future will likely be from a non-automotive background and possibly a company we’ve either never heard off or doesn’t yet exist today. Good luck to Dyson ... the more innovators the better in my view!
What's the logic in that - it doesn't seem very intuitive? Selling cars is surely a lot more than just about what provides the motive power (assuming that the existing makers can adjust their designs to accommodate the new packaging constraints and freedoms). Don't you also need to have the know-how to meet all regulatory requirements, to manufacture at scale, to have a sales/service network and so on?
They have, apparently, taken on a gang of people from Aston Martin so some experience there albeit a bit focussed. The motor regs knowledge etc can be simpy bought, though. They're also supposed to be working with HM Gov re infrastructure.

From my perspective I am interested to see a design led solution. The UK produces some of the best product designers in the world and also has a long history of innovative engineering solutions so potentially it's quite exciting. It would be really very exciting indeed if the contract side of McLaren or Williams got involved too.

It would be a shame though if 1. It is just a top end of the market product and 2. It's built outside the UK. The religious and political direction of Malaysia asks some serious moral questions of Dyson.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I saw a mention of this in a news update today, Mike. Financial Times possibly. Talk was of a high end/premium EV. I guess this is where the profits are, as Porsche have found, rather than at the mass market, pile 'em high & sell 'em cheap end of the market.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:13 pm I saw a mention of this in a news update today, Mike. Financial Times possibly. Talk was of a high end/premium EV. I guess this is where the profits are, as Porsche have found, rather than at the mass market, pile 'em high & sell 'em cheap end of the market.
Absolutely, Simon. Although it would be good to see a more mass market product it must be easier to go high end to begin with. Fewer numbers and potentially more profitable and because of the smaller volume far easier to cut their teeth on! As we've seen with Tesla, perhaps the early adopters are more forgiving.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Very interesting times ahead, Mike - especially over the next 2-3 years as the Mission E and Dysonmobile break cover! :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

johnd wrote:
I think we’ll see changes in traditional retailing and after sales. No reason why the innovation should be restricted to the product. ‘Care by Volvo’ is an interesting example of a new way of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.