Mission E update & other news

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:38 am It’s a fine looking machine and I expect the production version to be pretty special and hopefully knock Tesla off its perch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope so too, but I wouldn't count on it. Looking at the proposed specs (which I know isn't everything), it doesn't look like it will have any more performance or range than a current Tesla S. Not that it particularly needs more performance, but still it doesn't sound exactly ground-breaking for something that's still a good year or more away from market. I really do hope it lives up to the high expectations though. Tesla really do need some serious competition in the high end BEV market, which they currently dominate.

VanB

Post by VanB »

Competition is always good for consumers and the more main stream manufacturers bring serious offerings to the EV market the better as that will inevitably drive improvements in quality, performance and range (not that anyone needs more performance than already offered by Tesla)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Absolutely. I'd like to see a few more choices in the EV market, both in the high end and more mundane sectors. EV choices are still very limited in 2018, but looks like things will develop rapidly in the next few years.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

I remember seeing Mission-E at a motorshow, can't remember if it was Geneva or Paris but either way, I was struck by the size of it. It was next to a Panamera Sport Turismo and that's a 5 metre car, the Mission-E wasn't much off that. Appreciate that production dimensions are probably yet to be finalised but it struck me as being a large vehicle.

When I was at my OPC recently, he said they were having to reconfig and rebuild areas of their units to accommodate Mission E due to the fact that the batteries had to be shipped separately and required a forklift to put into the vehicle (and obviously space to manoeuvre the fork lift around the bay). Apparently the battery isn't far off the floor plan of the car.

I don't get the trend for increasingly larger vehicles. They're a pain to get around cities and that's where the core audience is for this type of vehicle surely due to infrastructure.
Deleted User 1874

alxgb wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm I remember seeing Mission-E at a motorshow, can't remember if it was Geneva or Paris but either way, I was struck by the size of it. It was next to a Panamera Sport Turismo and that's a 5 metre car, the Mission-E wasn't much off that. Appreciate that production dimensions are probably yet to be finalised but it struck me as being a large vehicle.

When I was at my OPC recently, he said they were having to reconfig and rebuild areas of their units to accommodate Mission E due to the fact that the batteries had to be shipped separately and required a forklift to put into the vehicle (and obviously space to manoeuvre the fork lift around the bay). Apparently the battery isn't far off the floor plan of the car.

I don't get the trend for increasingly larger vehicles. They're a pain to get around cities and that's where the core audience is for this type of vehicle surely due to infrastructure.
The main reason Porsche have chosen a near Panamera sized car for their first EV is basically down to battery weight. They could not be confident of producing a smaller car with nimble handling given the battery weight (500+ kg). But I believe they have been running a Cayman mule as an experiment. Weight is the achilles heel of all current EVs although it becomes less of a concern in larger cars, especially those aimed more at touring rather than all out handling performance. Tesla pretty much made the same choice with the Model S after the early Roadster. Basically EVs make either good little city cars with smaller range compromised batteries (Leaf, i3) or decent large touring cars with stellar performance and reasonable range (Tesla S/X). The Mission E is clearly taking on the Model S head on.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

New spy video :). I quite like it...

https://youtu.be/b8dx3oJOMr4
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Looks great but suspect it will be very pricey.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col M

Post by Col M »

Orangebulldog wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm New spy video :). I quite like it...

Assume they're also cold testing the Cayenne hybrid there?
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Col M wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:52 pm
Orangebulldog wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm New spy video :). I quite like it...

Assume they're also cold testing the Cayenne hybrid there?
I even think there is a glimps of the new Macan? One of the SUV’s seems smaller or is it my eyes tricking me? :D