SD Alternatives do they exist?

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Did a jaguar Experience day at Dodington, great fun we drove the F paces, E paces, XF type, XE, F type all with different engines from 1.8D to apx 300 bhp 3L petrol (brilliant day try and do one)

Well really like my SD for all the wrong reasons, quiet, great torque, a dream to drive, long range, towing options etc

The jaguars were great day to day their Diesels make more sense, especially country areas and A need to tow!

I will be annoyed to see if our SD become worthless (mines a spring 2015)
Wife has a new Mazda CX5 AWD good but i like the oomph and weight of the Macan

Aiming to keep both for another 10 years if possible, as by then the next generation / MAY be out be it a hybrid, electric or what ever.

happy days

Post by happy days »

I'm thinking the same. Can't see an alternative that I'd be interested in, and I'm not interested remotely in the Porsche hybrid solution. Our McCann does a 100+ mile commute daily with (often) a lot of city driving in the working day on top. The current Porsche Hybrid (as in the KN) can only manage a few miles on electric power, so effectively it's a petrol car. Might as well have a GTS if we were looking at a Macan replacement in that case. Might just keep this McCann for a few years; problem is with about 20-25k minimum a year being racked up, it'll be worth very little in a few years' time.
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

My thought too on the majority of hybrids currently. I think it was Petski who had driven one or both of the new volvo hybrids with a 80 bhp electric motor and a range of 20 miles!?
What is the point (other than paying no rfl and grabbing the subsidies?)
I does seem as if too much time and effort is being spent on hybrids, to the detriment of full electric vehicles?
I recall Clarkson joking a few years ago that he was going to buy a Hummer and fit a tiny duracell battery and electric lego motor to escape the congestion charge!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

"Well really like my SD for all the wrong reasons, quiet, great torque, a dream to drive, long range, towing options etc"

I'm the same, I tow a trailer regularly, love the torque and quietness and also do South West France 2 or 3 times a year.
I know cost wise the extra on petrol wouldn't be a huge amount compared to what the car cost but I just love jumping in and knowing I'm not going to have to put fuel in for 600 miles. I've got other cars for the noisy exhaust experience and don't want that in my daily driver.
Looking forward to what car makers will have to offer in 5 years time but meanwhile I'll just carry on enjoying my diesel.
It'll be worth what it's worth come trade in time, I'll just keep piling the miles on.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Paul wrote: ↑Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:00 pm My thought too on the majority of hybrids currently. I think it was Petski who had driven one or both of the new volvo hybrids with a 80 bhp electric motor and a range of 20 miles!?
What is the point (other than paying no rfl and grabbing the subsidies?)
I does seem as if too much time and effort is being spent on hybrids, to the detriment of full electric vehicles?
I recall Clarkson joking a few years ago that he was going to buy a Hummer and fit a tiny duracell battery and electric lego motor to escape the congestion charge!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
That's right. But I think plug-in hybrids can work reasonably well in a city environment with lots of plug-in points. 20 miles in a city crawlathon is actually quite a reasonable range and especially so if you can plug it in while you are out and about. But full electric is the way to go if you have home or perhaps work charging available. Night and day better than hybrid, diesel or petrol powertrains. Still can't get over the power delivery on my Tesla, it's from another world. For sure I have to work around a 200 mile max range, but it's no big deal with the supercharger network in place and plenty of back-up public charge points. Most days 200 miles is enough not to even think about on-road charging.

Personally I'm looking forward to Porsche getting into the full electric market. As a performance based brand, it actually makes a lot of sense for Porsche. A 700+ hp electric SUV that costs about Β£5 to charge up is not exactly a bad prospect. If you like low down diesel torque, then you will definitely not be disappointed with electric torque!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

What do you think of this new SUV?

New Alpina XD3 gets 330bhp 3.0-litre six-cylinder twin-turbo diesel

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alpina/102 ... newsletter

Alpina have also launched the D5S diesel saloon with 322bhp / 700Nm at Β£62,000with a claimed 46.3 mpg and 171 mph top speed with 0-62mph in 4.9 seconds.

So much for the dead high performance diesel....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

..can I get the left hand drive power unit in a right hand drive car pleaseπŸ˜‰
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Lots of good comments.

I too have no plans on changing for the above reasons and really nothing that I fancy for now anyway :D :D :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 am What do you think of this new SUV?

New Alpina XD3 gets 330bhp 3.0-litre six-cylinder twin-turbo diesel

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alpina/102 ... newsletter

Alpina have also launched the D5S diesel saloon with 322bhp / 700Nm at Β£62,000with a claimed 46.3 mpg and 171 mph top speed with 0-62mph in 4.9 seconds.

So much for the dead high performance diesel....
That is basically what I have been saying for the last 18 months, the SD should have had that much power and torque to start off with.

I have driven a couple of 35D Beamers and the engine is way better than the Macan SDs
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Agreed it is!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊