Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:06 pm 👍
“ Porsche parking!”
And deliberately so. Saw the huge space and couldn’t resist. I knew you guys would appreciate it.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm I love the idea of it but it is oh so firm, particularly on the appalling roads through Cheltenham. And very noisy even without the sports exhaust turned on. Maybe I’m getting old. 😫
yep, another great car compromised by oversized bling wheels :lol:

But the wheels look SO good! And Porsche know it! Which is why virtually all the publicity shots of new models, and the demos that journalists are given to drive, mostly have the biggest wheels. And often concept/prototype cars go one step further & feature over-sized wheels. Not to mention the recent Porsche trend to drop the suspension artificially low on cars at motor shows (e.g. Panamera and Cayenne). :ugeek:
Having been in the publicity business and done work for JLR I know that rationale only too well but as potential customer what you see if very definitely not what you probably need.
Last edited by Dandock on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm I love the idea of it but it is oh so firm, particularly on the appalling roads through Cheltenham. And very noisy even without the sports exhaust turned on. Maybe I’m getting old. 😫

But the wheels look SO good! And Porsche know it! Which is why virtually all the publicity shots of new models, and the demos that journalists are given to drive, mostly have the biggest wheels. And often concept/prototype cars go one step further & feature over-sized wheels. Not to mention the recent Porsche trend to drop the suspension artificially low on cars at motor shows (e.g. Panamera and Cayenne). :ugeek:
Yeah, all done for marketing and it's what the public demand. Can't really blame Porsche for that. But not great for those who actually want the best ride/handling experience possible. Performance tyres have obviously followed those trends too and for the same cosmetic reasons and not ultimate performance. It's one of those classic cases where engineering has to compensate as best it can for prevailing styling trends.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Why do I like the look of a Cayman more than a 911?

Enjoy the drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Wing Commander wrote:
Dandock wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 pm I love the idea of it but it is oh so firm, particularly on the appalling roads through Cheltenham. And very noisy even without the sports exhaust turned on. Maybe I’m getting old. [emoji31]

Dropping the suspension is particularly annoying. It’s the same on the configurator vs reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm
Wing Commander wrote:

Dropping the suspension is particularly annoying. It’s the same on the configurator vs reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does seem incredibly low. I'm just about to venture out into the weather back to OPC which means entering car from a snow-covered pavement. Should be fun! :shock: :?
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good luck, Mike...! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Had 20" rims on my 981 and never suffered from poor ride or handling. Got 21" on the SD and feel the same about them. I did run an Exige S as a daily for 3 years, so maybe my sensory parameters are skewed?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

nsm3 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm Had 20" rims on my 981 and never suffered from poor ride or handling. Got 21" on the SD and feel the same about them. I did run an Exige S as a daily for 3 years, so maybe my sensory parameters are skewed?
It is what you get used to. Everyone complains about the state of our roads while driving around with o-rings for tyres. As I said, Porsche do well with ride quality, but it's all relative. But aside from what your bum feels, the suspension components and mounts get much more of a beating too with large wheels. There is no doubt among vehicle engineers that more sensible wheel/tyre sizes are better in pretty much every respect, but people just like the look of big wheels and don't care about or understand the compromises involved. So the manufacturers do the best job they can with complex suspension and damping systems to compensate for the increased unsprung weight and lack of tyre compliance.