Today’s little loaner

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 pm Good luck, Mike...! :)
The roads in Cheltenham were sooo slippy and thanks to local politics much more so than those in Tewkesbury. Anyway, although busy, I was having a little fun until plod filed out in front of me at a roundabout. Presumably on chaperone duty they proceeded along at a steady 15 mph. :evil:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Peteski wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm
nsm3 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm Had 20" rims on my 981 and never suffered from poor ride or handling. Got 21" on the SD and feel the same about them. I did run an Exige S as a daily for 3 years, so maybe my sensory parameters are skewed?
It is what you get used to. Everyone complains about the state of our roads while driving around with o-rings for tyres. As I said, Porsche do well with ride quality, but it's all relative. But aside from what your bum feels, the suspension components and mounts get much more of a beating too with large wheels. There is no doubt among vehicle engineers that more sensible wheel/tyre sizes are better in pretty much every respect, but people just like the look of big wheels and don't care about or understand the compromises involved. So the manufacturers do the best job they can with complex suspension and damping systems to compensate for the increased unsprung weight and lack of tyre compliance.
Couldn't agree with you more Peteski. Another triumph of form over function!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am
nsm3 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm Had 20" rims on my 981 and never suffered from poor ride or handling. Got 21" on the SD and feel the same about them. I did run an Exige S as a daily for 3 years, so maybe my sensory parameters are skewed?
It is what you get used to. Everyone complains about the state of our roads while driving around with o-rings for tyres. As I said, Porsche do well with ride quality, but it's all relative. But aside from what your bum feels, the suspension components and mounts get much more of a beating too with large wheels. There is no doubt among vehicle engineers that more sensible wheel/tyre sizes are better in pretty much every respect, but people just like the look of big wheels and don't care about or understand the compromises involved. So the manufacturers do the best job they can with complex suspension and damping systems to compensate for the increased unsprung weight and lack of tyre compliance.
A perfect example. :lol: :lol:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... frankfurt/
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Absolutely!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am
So you'll be swapping the 20" wheels on your GTS for 19"s then, Nick?

Am sure you'd find someone willing to swap, or give you a good price for those gorgeous 20" GTS centre lock wheels! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

:lol: Thought something like that might be coming Simon!

If the 911 was going to be the regular daily driver it would have been a lower spec model on 19" rims, but the Macan will be the comfort cruiser when we need it, although I intend using the GTS as much as possible!

OK, I admit it, the Macan has 20" SD wheels as my token bit of bling! But it still has 120mm of sidewall with an aspect ratio of 40/45 front and rear which is enough to soak up the worst impacts and help avoid kerb damage.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 am :lol: Thought something like that might be coming Simon!

Glad that I didn't disappoint you, Nick! ;)

And you have pretty much the perfect pairing there!

The 911 GTS for sheer sports car pleasure, and the Macan Turbo for when you need a bit more space, courtesy of the best handling SUV on the market! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 am OK, I admit it, the Macan has 20" SD wheels as my token bit of bling! But it still has 120mm of sidewall with an aspect ratio of 40/45 front and rear which is enough to soak up the worst impacts and help avoid kerb damage.
My Tesla Model X also has 20" wheels with 45 profile tyres, which are just about acceptable on ride quality. My wife was a little surprised how firm it felt over the local speed bumps, but otherwise it rides and handles pretty well. I'm sure 19s would be even better, but simply not an option. I've tested a loan car with the optional 22" rims and that was getting to be harsh over potholes and bumps. Not to mention serious kerb strike potential!
macview19

Post by macview19 »

Ford Popular wheel size 17 Inch with 450x17 tyres friction dampers/leaf springs/no heaters/ Trico air operated wipers/air conditioning ( open a window) windscreen washers( a bottle of washing up liquid) and a starting handle when the 6 volt battery went flat which was a regular occurrence.
Yes automobiles had large wheels only 50 years ago that's what they came with which really shows how the Motor Industry has developed in such a short period of time. As a very young 18 year old driving vehicles then todays automobiles are light years different in every way . I have wry smile
when reading comments on our forum ( which I enjoy immensely ) on the pros and cons of wheel sizes. On my Macan GTS I have 21inch classics
with air and its a whole lot better than 450x17 wheels
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

macview19 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 pm Ford Popular wheel size 17 Inch with 450x17 tyres friction dampers/leaf springs/no heaters/ Trico air operated wipers/air conditioning ( open a window) windscreen washers( a bottle of washing up liquid) and a starting handle when the 6 volt battery went flat which was a regular occurrence.
Yes automobiles had large wheels only 50 years ago that's what they came with which really shows how the Motor Industry has developed in such a short period of time. As a very young 18 year old driving vehicles then todays automobiles are light years different in every way . I have wry smile
when reading comments on our forum ( which I enjoy immensely ) on the pros and cons of wheel sizes. On my Macan GTS I have 21inch classics
with air and its a whole lot better than 450x17 wheels
Trico air wipers! Gosh they were something to behold... wipe - very long pause - wipe, wipe, wipe, wipe, nothing, nothing, wipe, etc!

Punters pay extra for that now. ;)