Audi SQ5 delayed due to WLTP regs

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Sounds like another "let's get these things off the market quick before we hit September and big fines". Seems to be happening a lot with many models recently.

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

For the sake of stirring some debate. These newdangled tests will basically tell us what we have known for years. Published emission figures are a joke. My question, will the engines be redesigned or will the CO2 and NOx figures go up? The former will (likely) mess with published performance figures, the latter will hit us in our pockets when we get into a higher emissions band. What will the manufactures do? And by extension, would you buy the first batch of cars / engines after the factory shut down?
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
John_M

Post by John_M »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm For the sake of stirring some debate. These newdangled tests will basically tell us what we have known for years. Published emission figures are a joke. My question, will the engines be redesigned or will the CO2 and NOx figures go up? The former will (likely) mess with published performance figures, the latter will hit us in our pockets when we get into a higher emissions band. What will the manufactures do? And by extension, would you buy the first batch of cars / engines after the factory shut down?
Short term - there isn't a lot they can do other than tweak engines and/or accept higher figures, longer term I suspect we will see a change in design to cheat, sorry "get best for" these tests rather than the EU ones
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm For the sake of stirring some debate. These newdangled tests will basically tell us what we have known for years. Published emission figures are a joke. My question, will the engines be redesigned or will the CO2 and NOx figures go up? The former will (likely) mess with published performance figures, the latter will hit us in our pockets when we get into a higher emissions band. What will the manufactures do? And by extension, would you buy the first batch of cars / engines after the factory shut down?
Yes I also would be concerned about buying the first year or two of cars fitted with petrol particulate filters. The first cars with catalytic converters lost serious performance until they were optimised for real world driving. What would worry me is that the manufactures have been bumped into fitting particulate filters much earlier than they wanted to due to the VW emission scandal and September's real world testing. The consensus of thinking is that the particulate filters will cost quite a drop in engine performance and have very little real world testing so the early adopters will be guinea pigs
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50