Nanny says the future is Volvo

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I was driving my QF into central London this morning when the car in front of me slammed his brakes on as a pedestrian stepped out into the road. I started braking but the car obviously thought I wasn’t going to stop in time and activated Forward Collision Avoidance. It enhanced the level of braking and brought the car very quickly to a stop (luckily no-one was behind me). I was really impressed with the technology and can definitely see the benefits. I have been pleasantly surprised by the safety/assistance technology in the QF that comes as standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am I was driving my QF into central London this morning when the car in front of me slammed his brakes on as a pedestrian stepped out into the road. I started braking but the car obviously thought I wasn’t going to stop in time and activated Forward Collision Avoidance. It enhanced the level of braking and brought the car very quickly to a stop (luckily no-one was behind me). I was really impressed with the technology and can definitely see the benefits. I have been pleasantly surprised by the safety/assistance technology in the QF that comes as standard.

Interesting. Do you think you would have stopped if it hadn't "helped"? My wife's LR did it to me a while ago, in my view completely unnecessarily as we were approaching a roundabout.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Ian.g wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am I was driving my QF into central London this morning when the car in front of me slammed his brakes on as a pedestrian stepped out into the road. I started braking but the car obviously thought I wasn’t going to stop in time and activated Forward Collision Avoidance. It enhanced the level of braking and brought the car very quickly to a stop (luckily no-one was behind me). I was really impressed with the technology and can definitely see the benefits. I have been pleasantly surprised by the safety/assistance technology in the QF that comes as standard.

Interesting. Do you think you would have stopped if it hadn't "helped"? My wife's LR did it to me a while ago, in my view completely unnecessarily as we were approaching a roundabout.
I think I would have done, but the car definitely helped stop much sooner than I might have.

Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 pm
Ian.g wrote:

I think I would have done, but the car definitely helped stop much sooner than I might have.

The trouble with that is that you ended up braking much harder than needed and thereby increased your chances of being hit from behind. Obviously it could have saved you crashing if you had misjudged it but it could also have caused a crash if the car over-did it.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 pm
Ian.g wrote:

The trouble with that is that you ended up braking much harder than needed and thereby increased your chances of being hit from behind. Obviously it could have saved you crashing if you had misjudged it but it could also have caused a crash if the car over-did it.
But the bonus in that scenario is that if you're hit from behind it's their fault, if you hit the car in front it's your fault!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:49 pm

But the bonus in that scenario is that if you're hit from behind it's their fault, if you hit the car in front it's your fault!
It will turn into an Arms Race. Who can (auto)stop first?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Ian.g wrote:

Maybe, but depends how far back he ended up from the car he was avoiding. If only a foot or two then it was the right thing to do, but perhaps over-sensitive if it ended up with many car lengths to spare. Never an easy call to make in those critical situations, but probably a good start not to plough into the back of the car that stopped suddenly.

My car has both AEB and an audible early warning collision detection signal. You can adjust the sensitivity of the latter, so if you set it to the most sensitive setting you get a very clear audible warning if something ahead decelerates suddenly. Only if you ignore the warning and continue on collision course does the AEB actually kick in as you get closer. So far I have only had a couple of false warnings when approaching stationary cars in narrow roads before pulling out to pass. In neither case did I get close enough to the parked car for the AEB to intervene, which I think is a good compromise.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Peteski wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 pm I think I would have done, but the car definitely helped stop much sooner than I might have.

Maybe, but depends how far back he ended up from the car he was avoiding. If only a foot or two then it was the right thing to do, but perhaps over-sensitive if it ended up with many car lengths to spare. Never an easy call to make in those critical situations, but probably a good start not to plough into the back of the car that stopped suddenly.

My car has both AEB and an audible early warning collision detection signal. You can adjust the sensitivity of the latter, so if you set it to the most sensitive setting you get a very clear audible warning if something ahead decelerates suddenly. Only if you ignore the warning and continue on collision course does the AEB actually kick in as you get closer. So far I have only had a couple of false warnings when approaching stationary cars in narrow roads before pulling out to pass. In neither case did I get close enough to the parked car for the AEB to intervene, which I think is a good compromise.
That’s exactly my experience in the QF. The system is set to the least sensitive setting, so if it intervenes, it genuinely thinks you need help!