Self-parking option

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Porsche today announced a self-parking option. The link known below is Porsche’s (from the original Christophorus piece) but the report on the Drive site gave a list of models on which it would be available. Macan is not to on there. Presume that maybe they’re waiting for the official euro launch.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/technol ... 15839.html
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Paul

Post by Paul »

Fantastic toy, even if you can parallel park (as we all can, obviously😊)

I first had it on a Skoda Superb (back in 2010) and it would confidently get you into spaces you wouldn’t dare attempt!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Except for the prat next to you that insists on getting in their car 💥 come what may! Think I’d prefer to choose my own ‘Macan’ space. 😳
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

The self-parking system on my Tesla is amazing. I use it all the time for parallel parking as it's super quick and efficient. But I rarely use it for parking in bays as I always look for extra wide options and drive straight in. Our Nissan Qashqai also has self-parking capability, but it's way too slow and clumsy to be of any practical use, so I haven't used it at all since trying it in the first week we had the car.

The key to these systems being of practical use is:

a) Simple intuitive operation (in the Tesla you just drive by the spot, stop, put it in reverse and say yes to the pop up auto-park message. In the Nissan it's a load of hassle just to initiate the system)

b) The car actually parks quickly and accurately (again the Tesla is fast, the Nissan is dog slow)

c) The ability to easily abort or pause auto parking (in the Tesla you just dab the brake to pause and then click the pop-up prompt to resume. I think the Nissan just aborts and then you have to start the process all over again)

The Nissan system is quite dumb and you have to manually select between parallel and bay parking. Then you have to fine tune the suggested virtual parking box (which all takes valuable seconds). The Tesla system makes all those decisions automatically, based on where you pulled up (e.g. next to a marked bay or next to a gap between 2 cars and you then simply park with one prompted click.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I generally disliked all these aids that make the responsibility, ability and skill to operate a vehicle unnecessary.

Welcome to your driving test! Can you click a button on a popup? yes? Congratulations, here's your license! :lol:

Even car adverts are showing incompetent drivers in a positive way. Look how cool he is? Didn't kill that child because he bought a car with AEB!

Now they're ubiquitous and with so many useless people on the roads, I can't wait for car makers to have the balls to delete the steering wheel and go full autonomous.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 am I generally disliked all these aids that make the responsibility, ability and skill to operate a vehicle unnecessary.

Welcome to your driving test! Can you click a button on a popup? yes? Congratulations, here's your license! :lol:

Even car adverts are showing incompetent drivers in a positive way. Look how cool he is? Didn't kill that child because he bought a car with AEB!

Now they're ubiquitous and with so many useless people on the roads, I can't wait for car makers to have the balls to delete the steering wheel and go full autonomous.
Well said, Goron! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 am I generally disliked all these aids that make the responsibility, ability and skill to operate a vehicle unnecessary.

That's all very well, but loads of people ding and scrape their cars when parking and the amount of kerb rash you see on low profile alloys never ceases to amaze me. Surround cams and auto-parking are a good thing IMO, especially in larger cars with poor visibility of extremities. Of course we can live without them if we have to, but you can say that for pretty much any modern convenience tech. But it doesn't make it any less convenient.

As for useless people on the roads, they've always been there regardless of driving aids. Now they just crash and die/kill a bit less often and everyone in a modern performance car thinks they are a driving god thanks to traction/stability control. Basically if you want to actually drive the thing all by yourself you need a 20+ year old manual car or at least a modern car in which you can genuinely switch off all the driving aids rather than just turn them down a little.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am

That's all very well, but loads of people ding and scrape their cars when parking and the amount of kerb rash you see on low profile alloys never ceases to amaze me. Surround cams and auto-parking are a good thing IMO, especially in larger cars with poor visibility of extremities. Of course we can live without them if we have to, but you can say that for pretty much any modern convenience tech. But it doesn't make it any less convenient.

As for useless people on the roads, they've always been there regardless of driving aids. Now they just crash and die/kill a bit less often and everyone in a modern performance car thinks they are a driving god thanks to traction/stability control. Basically if you want to actually drive the thing all by yourself you need a 20+ year old manual car or at least a modern car in which you can genuinely switch off all the driving aids rather than just turn them down a little.
Isn’t that rather like suggesting that because there are calculators we shouldn’t teach maths? 😳😂
happy days

Post by happy days »

Dandock wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Isn’t that rather like suggesting that because there are calculators we shouldn’t teach maths? 😳😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm

So are you suggesting not using a calculator and doing all your maths manually? What I'm saying is that modern driving aids are useful, just like a calculator is useful. I suppose both these could make you lazy, but then so does much of our modern lifestyle. I could live in a cave and hunt my own food, but I prefer the convenience of ordering from Ocado! When I want a more "raw" driving experience I take out our classic 911 with zero driving aids and very few comforts. Sometimes that's fun and sometimes it's just tiring. In our family car I want maximum safety and convenience features i.e. stress free motoring. Auto-parking is just a nice bit of icing on the cake, especially on a large SUV. Maybe in 10 years time I'll forget how to park manually and frankly I don't give a monkeys. It's not a skill that I particularly value for its own sake!