Self-parking option

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Next, we'll have coffee sellers putting warnings on coffee cups telling us that the contents are hot, because we're all too f**king stupid to figure it out for ourselves, and be celebrated for our stupidity.

( and for those taking all this too seriously, that's a joke too )
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:01 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am

That's all very well, but loads of people ding and scrape their cars when parking and the amount of kerb rash you see on low profile alloys never ceases to amaze me. Surround cams and auto-parking are a good thing IMO, especially in larger cars with poor visibility of extremities. Of course we can live without them if we have to, but you can say that for pretty much any modern convenience tech. But it doesn't make it any less convenient.

As for useless people on the roads, they've always been there regardless of driving aids. Now they just crash and die/kill a bit less often and everyone in a modern performance car thinks they are a driving god thanks to traction/stability control. Basically if you want to actually drive the thing all by yourself you need a 20+ year old manual car or at least a modern car in which you can genuinely switch off all the driving aids rather than just turn them down a little.
Isn’t that rather like suggesting that because there are calculators we shouldn’t teach maths? 😳😂
So are you suggesting not using a calculator and doing all your maths manually? What I'm saying is that modern driving aids are useful, just like a calculator is useful. I suppose both these could make you lazy, but then so does much of our modern lifestyle. I could live in a cave and hunt my own food, but I prefer the convenience of ordering from Ocado! When I want a more "raw" driving experience I take out our classic 911 with zero driving aids and very few comforts. Sometimes that's fun and sometimes it's just tiring. In our family car I want maximum safety and convenience features i.e. stress free motoring. Auto-parking is just a nice bit of icing on the cake, especially on a large SUV. Maybe in 10 years time I'll forget how to park manually and frankly I don't give a monkeys. It's not a skill that I particularly value for its own sake!
Apologies for my attempt at humour. Perhaps a more pertinent analogy would have been flying. 😬
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

My only problem with auto parking is others! If a space is small enough that I can’t easily park, but the auto system can, it leaves my car vulnerable to the cars in front and behind who don’t have auto park and have to “unpark”, possibly by touch in my experience! Normal practice in Spain, it seems, but don’t want to get involved here, preferring to pick a generous parking spot TBH.
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

And that these various system are infallible and faultless.

Undoubtedly in x years every vehicle, if we are still allowed to own such things, will have totally autonomous systems so will simply be mechanical chauffeurs, thus leaving us all free to ponder more eternally worrying questions such as the future of handwriting.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

davetronic wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 pm My only problem with auto parking is others! If a space is small enough that I can’t easily park, but the auto system can, it leaves my car vulnerable to the cars in front and behind who don’t have auto park and have to “unpark”, possibly by touch in my experience! Normal practice in Spain, it seems, but don’t want to get involved here, preferring to pick a generous parking spot TBH.
I agree with avoiding tight parking spaces, but still find auto-parking a nice feature regardless, especially when parallel parking close to a vicious looking kerb. The one thing missing on my Tesla (despite having cameras pointing everywhere!) is a full surround camera view and you cannot see the front or rear corners at all in the X. So auto-parking becomes a genuinely useful feature in this car. In my little 911 it would be far less critical, although lack of power steering and loads of caster makes parking a PITA in other ways!