Cayenne Coupe pics

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:00 am Tesla S and X both look dated now too being released at 6 and 3 years ago respectively. One of the reasons the iPace looks fresh and interesting as a BEV.
By regular automotive cycles the S is very definitely due a facelift.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:00 am Tesla S and X both look dated now too being released at 6 and 3 years ago respectively. One of the reasons the iPace looks fresh and interesting as a BEV.

Don't know what you've been smoking if you think that! To me the iPace is unashamedly conventional looking to avoid scaring off their traditional ICE customers, while Teslas were always designed to be ultra-efficient. I'm sure the next generation S and X will be even more futuristic looking, but to call the current ones dated looking is a bit of a joke, especially the X! It's about the most futuristic looking SUV on the market today (inside and out) by a country mile regardless of your taste. The iPace is an EV trying to look a bit like an ICE. I don't dislike it for that, but I wouldn't say it was particularly interesting or fresh to look at. The tech is pretty much hidden in the iPace, while fully flaunted in the Tesla X.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:10 am
By regular automotive cycles the S is very definitely due a facelift.
Well the S did have a facelift in 2016, is due for a major interior refresh in mid 2019, full replacement car in 2021. Quite a long cycle, but not dissimilar to Porsche in that regard. Plus the interior tech on the S/X has been updated dramatically since the start through OTA firmware and more recent hardware. Batteries have improved a fair bit too along the way. A 2018 Model S is quite a step change from an original 2012 release in many ways. That's not usually the case for other manufacturers when comparing model years of the same car, where very little changes. How different is a 2018 Macan from the original 2014 model?
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:48 am

Don't know what you've been smoking if you think that! To me the iPace is unashamedly conventional looking to avoid scaring off their traditional ICE customers, while Teslas were always designed to be ultra-efficient. I'm sure the next generation S and X will be even more futuristic looking, but to call the current ones dated looking is a bit of a joke, especially the X! It's about the most futuristic looking SUV on the market today (inside and out) by a country mile regardless of your taste. The iPace is an EV trying to look a bit like an ICE. I don't dislike it for that, but I wouldn't say it was particularly interesting or fresh to look at. The tech is pretty much hidden in the iPace, while fully flaunted in the Tesla X.
The iPace is an EV trying to look a bit like an ICE.

Is there any reason why EVs need to have a specific 'look'?

I actually like the look of the iPace and prefer it to the Model X. Its size is also a significant advantage for the UK.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Dandock wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:19 pm

I actually like the look of the iPace and prefer it to the Model X. Its size is also a significant advantage for the UK.
Complete agree Dandock. There's an X around here that takes up most of the width of our country lane. Even the trucks and tractors have to back up for it to pass. :oops: :roll: :lol:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Well there's no need to have specific ICE features like a massive front grille. Having sat in the iPace, I thought it was a bit cramped compared to the Tesla and no idea why it appears to have a "transmission" tunnel? As I said, I don't dislike it, I just don't think it's making the most of an EV specific platform. In other ways it's pretty good, like the hyper extended wheelbase - even longer than a Model X in wheelbase (not overall length).
Deleted User 1874

SAC1 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Complete agree Dandock. There's an X around here that takes up most of the width of our country lane. Even the trucks and tractors have to back up for it to pass. :oops: :roll: :lol:
It's no big deal. All these beasts are about 2 m wide with mirrors. Haven't noticed any issues driving on our narrow country roads. Wouldn't fancy parking in tight city street spots though. But no worse than any of the other Chelsea tractors in that respect. iPace is significantly shorter, but barely any narrower (if at all).
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm

It's no big deal. All these beasts are about 2 m wide with mirrors. Haven't noticed any issues driving on our narrow country roads. Wouldn't fancy parking in tight city street spots though. But no worse than any of the other Chelsea tractors in that respect. iPace is significantly shorter, but barely any narrower (if at all).
It’s the size of a Macan if Tish n Tosh are correct.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Well there's no need to have specific ICE features like a massive front grille. Having sat in the iPace, I thought it was a bit cramped compared to the Tesla and no idea why it appears to have a "transmission" tunnel? As I said, I don't dislike it, I just don't think it's making the most of an EV specific platform. In other ways it's pretty good, like the hyper extended wheelbase - even longer than a Model X in wheelbase (not overall length).
I can understand that view but would suggest that whilst the designers might also have preferred a more radical solution the final decisions were governed by the economic need to employ the existing parts bin together with the fear of moving too far too quickly and alienating their market.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 pm
Peteski wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm

It’s the size of a Macan if Tish n Tosh are correct.
Macan 4692 x 1923 x 1609
iPace 4682 x 2011 x 1558
Model X 5052 x 1999 x 1684

iPace is actually the widest with folded mirrors. Length same as Macan. Model X considerably longer.