First proper pics of Taycan

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
muxty

Post by muxty »

The pictures Porsche released in this press pack is 100% CGI just like Peteski mentioned earlier. It is NOT the production car and there is nothing new to be seen in these images. Don't look too much into all this marketing bullshit from Porsche. We'll see in 1,5 years when the car is here how it lives up to the hype.

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

The article is about the production line, not the car.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 pm The article is about the production line, not the car.
^^^

First para reads......

On Monday the automaker revealed specific plans on how it will build its production line for the electric sedan, more specifically, how the new facility will meet its goal of smart, green, and lean production once it kicks off in 2019.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 pm The article is about the production line, not the car.
Yeah and the thread title here is "First proper pics of Taycan", which these clearly are not! The pictures of the production line look more like something Pixar produced than reality and regardless those are clearly Mission-E body shells with suicide doors. Meanwhile the actual production prototypes have been driving around for some time in disguise looking much more like a Panamera with conventional rear doors. Still potentially very nice indeed, but a fair bit more subtle.
Deleted User 1874

At this point I'm more interested in the pricing, spec and availability more than the aesthetics. From the AutoCar article:-

"When it goes on sale in the UK following a planned public premiere at the Frankfurt motor show in September 2019, it will be positioned between the £55,965 Cayenne and £67,898 Panamera"

Sounds good, except you would never see a £55K Cayenne or a £68K Panamera out on the road. But lets say the base Taycan is just over £60K and you would need to add about £15K worth of options to make it reasonable i.e. £75K on the road. So what sort of power output would that base model provide. Later in the article there are some clues:-

"Nothing is confirmed, but officials suggest variants with up to 300kW (402bhp), 350kW (469bhp), 400kW (536bhp) and, at the top of the range, 450kW (603bhp) are being developed"

So that means around 400 hp, less than a base Tesla Model S today. Possibly enough to be going on with, but hardly anything to get overly excited about. The 600 hp version is inevitably going to be well north of £100K so I'm not interested in that. So then it comes down to the pricing of the mid-range cars with around 500 hp. If one of those can be specced under £80K it would be very tempting, but I'm not convinced about that yet.

Then there's battery size and range to consider:-

"The capacity of the lithium ion unit has yet to be revealed, though Porsche is sticking to earlier claims that the Taycan will possess a range of up to 311 miles."

So really no idea about that yet. 311 miles real world range would be good, but the "up to" part seems a bit ominous. I'm fully expecting a 200-250 mile real world range here, especially if they get obsessed about cooling it for Nurburgring lap times. The drag coefficient needs to be 0.24 or less to provide competitive real world efficiency at motorway speeds, especially ton plus Autobahn speeds. Jaguar didn't pay enough attention here with the iPace, so hopefully Porsche will.
Deleted User 1874

Some quite credible renderings here based on the disguised prototypes seen testing. Looks pretty reasonable to me.

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/our ... erings.16/
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Probably not a bad guess. Like a Mission E and a Panamera had a love child! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:39 pm Probably not a bad guess. Like a Mission E and a Panamera had a love child! ;)
Good summary I think!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

And now spy shots of what our US cousins call a ‘wagon’! Good description maybe. But really need to see it with its pyjamas off!

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/202 ... ghting.20/
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀