Porsche sales up - despite shut down

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Paul

Post by Paul »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:57 am
Macadam wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 pm Let's face it - Porsche buyers are being mugged - the FT Companies section this morning – P19 – “Porsche remained the company’s (VW) profit driver, with earnings for the luxury marque of EU 3.2Bn. This is closing in on Audi’s EU3.7B, despite Porsche selling a 10th of the cars.”

OR - perhaps we are all so pleased with the product we don't mind paying OTT?
Two points spring to mind here:-

1. There is always more profit to be made in higher end vehicles and Porsche are operating exclusively in the upper end of the vehicle market.
2. As long as residuals remain strong, does it really matter all that much? You've got to consider total cost of ownership and depreciation is a huge factor, especially in the luxury car market.
+1....and unless you’ve a gun to your head, the choice is your to purchase or not purchase!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

andreas

Post by andreas »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:57 am As long as residuals remain strong, does it really matter all that much? You've got to consider total cost of ownership and depreciation is a huge factor, especially in the luxury car market.
Depreciation certainly is important, but published depreciation figures are fairly meaningless, as they're based on list price (not discounted price) and they ignore options (which on most Porsches are a significant sum).
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

In reality though, many of us have experienced strong value retention on our Porsches, taking into account options too. Both of my Porsches that I bought new and then sold (Macan and Panamera) certainly attracted trade in offers that did reflect the options that I’d specced.

Discounts are hard to come by on Porsches, so don’t really come into the equation as much as they might on say a BMW or Audi.

I think we can all agree that Porsches depreciate more slowly than most other marques. And eventually, if kept long enough, they can start to appreciate! ( I read today that 70% or more of all Porsches ever made are still on the road. )
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Car market is littered with bargains. Are we not paying a Porsche premium for heritage, engineering and exclusivity? I am!
Because of GBP weakness we are actually scoring on a global scale. Call it temp arbitrage opportunity.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Pivot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:15 am Car market is littered with bargains. Are we not paying a Porsche premium for heritage, engineering and exclusivity? I am!
Because of GBP weakness we are actually scoring on a global scale. Call it temp arbitrage opportunity.
And if we consider the residuals then Porsche are probably a bargain! ;)
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

andreas wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:35 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:57 am As long as residuals remain strong, does it really matter all that much? You've got to consider total cost of ownership and depreciation is a huge factor, especially in the luxury car market.
Depreciation certainly is important, but published depreciation figures are fairly meaningless, as they're based on list price (not discounted price) and they ignore options (which on most Porsches are a significant sum).
Regardless, I've always found Porsche residuals to be very strong. Macan residuals were awesome in the early days although inevitably going to slip a little now as the model ages. But I would still expect to lose more money on an equivalent Audi, Merc, BMW, Jag etc. So not really what I would call a rip-off. Pricing always has to reflect demand and supply economics and we have a free choice as to what we buy.