Macan 2.0 Test Drive

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Looking at getting my first Macan next year so wanted to check out the entry model first to see if it would suit me, or whether I’d need the extra power of an S. I’m currently in a 340i (straight six 3L 330hp)

I drove out into the country where I know some twisty roads with a few long straight stretches. Once out on the open road I planted my foot and the 2L Macan felt surprisingly sprightly for a car of this weight (1795 kg I believe) Racing along some country roads I never actually felt that I’d need more power than what this modified GTi unit has to offer. The obvious difference between this unit and the V6 is the lower torque (370 v 480) resulting in less low down grunt than the six cylinder 3 Litre engine, but the pdk’s lightening fast down shifts soon found the power band higher up the rev range for some pretty impressive pulling power! I was basically really just wanting to test the engine on this drive and I wasn’t disappointed whatsoever. I found the need to down shift more frequently really quite engaging and I had a lot of fun on some fairly empty country roads in what most would consider the least desirable Macan. I actually found this car more engaging to drive than my manual six cylinder BMW.... yes really!! The bigger engines are obviously more flexible and you really don’t need to downshift because of the low down torque, but the mesmerising pdk box actually makes downshifting fun because it’s so darn quick.

I honestly thought I would be buying a Macan S next year but I won’t be, I had more fun in this 2L Macan than I’ve had in a long time (in a car) and a couple of standing starts saw me at 60 mph in very little over six seconds. That’s 1970’s supercar performance and I found myself at law breaking speeds very frequently and very quickly! I think what makes this engine so useable is the pdk because whether up or downshifting, it really is unbelievably quick (but then most of you already know this)
The front end of the car also felt far more pointy and sharp than my 340i, clearly due to the much lighter engine. I was driving at much higher speeds than I usually would and I never really felt I needed more power. Obviously many of you will absolutely have to have six pots up front, but for anyone who is on the fence I’d suggest you take a four cylinder Macan for a test. My last two cars have had six cylinders, but my next one definitely won’t have! I’ll spend the £2400 saved on some nice options and I never thought I’d be saying this :ugeek:

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Good call nozydog! Suit you Sir!

As a fellow beemer driver, I appreciate your feedback. I will be taking 2.0L for a drive as well so we can compare notes.
Re PDK, did you use paddle shift or just your footwork?
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Caster

Post by Caster »

Nice write up nozydog + glad you enjoyed the 2.0L.

From my previous test drives of the pre facelift 2.0L's I know what you mean about the lighter front end + share your praise of the pdk. Sounds like you're sold on the 2.0L now + does this mean you'll be ordering?

PS... I'll look forward to trying a 2.0L next year for a possible future purchase.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

That's a great report Nozydog, many people like to play down the 2L's capabilities but it has all the characteristics of the Porsche brand and I feel, having driven a Mk1 2L, also surprised how well it went; I would say with a little more pushing than I expected after my SD but probably a more balanced car. :D :D
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
cheekyMacan

Post by cheekyMacan »

I drove the old 2L model and then the new model very recently. I already have a fast, excellent handling F-type so it was purely about the drive and wow what a drive the 2L was.

Loved it so much I ordered one well spec’d new model and cannot wait to get it next Thursday.

Some of the “can only buy a 3L, S, GTS or Turbo” club won’t be complementary I’m sure but this is likened to those who purchased a boxster or cayman a few years ago and were ridiculed by 911 owners for not owning a “proper” Porsche, so you can never win.

But I love the drive of the 2L and I’m sure I’ll have many fun times and so will you.

Enjoy..!!!!

Chris
http://www.porsche-code.com/PKSGFNH9
Loving my 2L Turbo Macan with Sports Chrono, 18-way Seats, Wonderful Display Screen, 20" Turbo Alloys, PASM, PS+, Sports Exhaust, Pano-Roof, LED Headlights. Ignore the haters, this is a SUPERB car :D :D :D
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Glad you are happy with the 2 litre but it's a bit meaningless unless you have compared it against a facelift 3 litre car.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you have not driven any other Macan then if you take a used S, GTS or Turbo out on the road the 2.0 will seem very pedestrian and unrefined by comparison.

I would not touch a 2.0 litre Macan, imho it should not have the Porsche badge on the car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

:|
Last edited by Macananon on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanB

Post by VanB »

My wife's Q5 has the 2 litre lump up front and, although not breathed on by Porsche, it is definitely no slouch and more than quick enough to lose your license if you're not careful. Having had a Macan GTS the main difference is the refinement of the V6 compared to the 4 pot but it is still a good powerplant.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“I would not touch a 2.0 litre Macan, imho it should not have the Porsche badge on the car...”

Hmmmmm a tad harsh. That’s a bit like a 911 owner saying anything other than a 911 shouldn’t have a Porsche badge. Or then that lends itself to a 356 owner saying..... “pah those 911 imposters.... they shouldn’t have a Porsche badge. “. Or perhaps the Porsche badge should only be on 911 GT focussed cars and not those “cooking 911, Audi TT lookalikes.....”

Will now sit back with pop corn......

PS ..... of course GTS models dont count as true GT models so let’s deal with those too....
PPS.... PDK? Pah...... no way can they be proper Porsche without a manual gearbox.......

PPPS...... back to popcorn.......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris