New M5 versus my Macan GTS

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Fantastic read Philip,

Agree with others comments on the looks of the beemer, so glad you are sticking with the Macan for now,

I too am loving the black GTS cab!!

martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Interesting to pick up this year-old thread. I'm in a 2017 turbo and have been thinking about a change. I've driven the regular M5 but not the competition. Compared to my turbo the ride of the regular M5 isn't as smooth though body control is slightly better when you are pressing on. I think the competition will be too harsh a ride compared to what we are used to.

I thought the M5 seats were easily the best I've ever experienced. Better than my 18-ways which is saying something. I thought the interior of the M5 was more plush, though that in part is my own fault for not specifying full leather in my turbo.

That's the only thing I regret from our turbo spec, except that if I was ordering again I would most likely do without sport chrono which we've hardly ever used.

The tech in the M5 is in another league compared to our generation turbo. I haven't tried the new Macan though. I find the UI of the Macan a bit rubbish tbh.

Not sure what I'm going to do if anything. There are not many fast GTs that appeal to me so the choice at the moment is stay in the Macan and buy a two year warranty, or switch to a less-than-year-old M5 at about 60% of list. I might take a look at RS4 too.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Philp

Post by Philp »

I just drove the f pace SVR so I would recommend you check that out. Tech and interior quality is just okay but the engine is something else. With OPF most cars are sounding uninspiring now and for me that’s a big part of the enjoyment and the SVR is insane. Will definitely make you giggle and mpg is bearable if you don’t do a lot of miles
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Good write up. A shame BMW has moved so far away from ride comfort towards handling. The ride of our i3S is pretty poor on many roads which is a shame as the interior and powertrain are so good. Ride comfort is what steered me to the Macan - along with the powertrain.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
pmg

Post by pmg »

SmallWheels wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:53 am Good write up. A shame BMW has moved so far away from ride comfort towards handling. The ride of our i3S is pretty poor on many roads which is a shame as the interior and powertrain are so good. Ride comfort is what steered me to the Macan - along with the powertrain.
I think the move of BMW to a strong handling rather than ride bias is greater in the Uk than say Germany. There certainly a year ago you could still get say a 330i in non M Sport trim say with 17-inch wheels rather than 18 or 19
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
RGS

Post by RGS »

Can't comment on the E 63 but I've just traded in my AMG V8 BiTurbo C63 s for a new Macan Turbo and I think it's the better car overall. The C63 was a monster, fabulous drivers car with brutal acceleration and masses of mid range torque which made overtaking a doddle. But as a passengers car it failed to impress especially anyone in the rear seats, lots of complaints ! Downsides, as a prima donna it needed a lot of warming in cold weather before the oil circulated through the gearbox and allowed minimal movement with maximum revs and noise. If the car stood for a couple of days in wet weather the front callipers would bind to the discs requiring huge revs and a load bang when they broke free. I had multispoke forged alloys that were a devil to keep clean as the car generated brake dust like it was going out of fashion. The hand assembled engine was the star of the show but saddled with a basic C class body and interior with that dreadful iPad infotainment screen, but on a good country road on a nice day you could forgive all that. However my wife was never entirely happy, the ride was unforgiving and being thrown back in her seat while accelerating didn't impress. So as soon as the Macan Turbo was available I bit the bullit, suffered 50% depreciation on a two year old car, but don't regret for a minute my decision. The Macan is more refined, better built, rides well on air and best of all no more brake dust problems with the wonderful surface coated discs and the wife loves it.