My Macan S impressions

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

A month later... 2500mi on the clock... I am still delighted with the vehicle!
Macan S is not a match for 435i, but what a pleasure it is to ride! I took it for a 100mi ride today.
My interim conclusion is that on the main roads 435i is a better car, however, on secondary roads Macan S is far superior! The 18” wheels work exceptionally well on uneven roads with some potholes, I hardly bother to avoid them nowadays, just ride straight through, barely noticing them. What would be rather unpleasant experience, especially for the passenger, is a luxury ride through a countryside.
Eventually I will move to 20”, but for now I am enjoying what I have got.
The sport exhaust is such a cool feature, even my wife (who intensely dislike noise of any sort) occasionally grins when I put a foot down.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Pivot wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:01 pm A month later... 2500mi on the clock... I am still delighted with the vehicle!
Macan S is not a match for 435i, but what a pleasure it is to ride! I took it for a 100mi ride today.
My interim conclusion is that on the main roads 435i is a better car, however, on secondary roads Macan S is far superior! The 18” wheels work exceptionally well on uneven roads with some potholes, I hardly bother to avoid them nowadays, just ride straight through, barely noticing them. What would be rather unpleasant experience, especially for the passenger, is a luxury ride through a countryside.
Eventually I will move to 20”, but for now I am enjoying what I have got.
The sport exhaust is such a cool feature, even my wife (who intensely dislike noise of any sort) occasionally grins when I put a foot down.
Glad you are loving your Macan. I really liked my 330d M sport wagon and would happily another one (petrol this time) if Macan didn't exist, however the ride of the Macan on PASM and 20s is sublime. Unless the next 3er has dramatically improved compliance I can't see us ever having another.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
dvearn

Post by dvearn »

JJW023 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 pm I collected my Macan S on Friday, just some initial thoughts..
Firstly very happy with the car in probably every way I would say so far. I love the look of my car in Volcano grey with black trim and the tinted/transparent rear lights, dark wheels, the interior is lovely and just resonates quality to me. Overall nothing I would change or improve from looks perspective I think. The seats (18 ways) are beautiful, extremely comfortable and hug you perfectly with just a nice, natural driving position, though I agree the bolsters are rather high and you do notice them getting in and out, so have a little concern how they will wear over time or if that might get annoying, they do look great though, I might have considered the 14 ways if did again.

The car drives great, the steering (with PS+) I love the feel, although to me even with PS+ it feels if anything on the heavy side (heavier than BMW’s and Audi’s have had in past) which I do like and was previously a little concerned that PS+ would make it too light. The suspension with 20inch wheels and air, actually feels rather firmer than I was expecting (I haven’t had an SUV before but have had M sport BMW’s and S line Audi’s before) not a problem but personally I am glad I didn’t go for 21’s from drive perspective as if anything it is a little firm and I definitely wouldn’t want any harder. The air suspension is great but I was expecting there to be more adjustment with both height and firmness but no big deal. The engine sounds great when you start it up, otherwise I feel it sounds quieter than I was expecting if driving peacefully anyway, would probably have preferred it being a little louder if I’m honest, having said that I do have PSE which as a result I am glad I added and sounds good and not too loud or fake . Maybe if it was louder it would get annoying over time so PSE could be the perfect balance (for me). In terms of performance I have only taken it relatively easy so far but to me it pulls very well, so whilst it probably doesn’t take my breath away for acceleration, it feels fast and like it always has plenty more and not struggling, with very little lag and fast immediate gear changes. Definitely feels noticeably more capable than 3l petrol BMW’s and 3l diesel Audi’s have had before which is impressive for an SUV. No complaints with performance so far (although more is always better I guess). In terms of MPG, haven’t tested extensively (as car now with detailer, but I was seeing about 22 around town and about 26 when combined between town and some motorway over a number of hours, not being pushed. So as I was expected nothing special but I can live with that.

I have Bose sound, I’m probably not the best to judge, but decent stereo is important to me for a car this price, haven’t listened extensively (as want to hear the engine and/or have had the wife with me, but it sounds pretty good quality to me. Would say similar to B&O system I had in the Audi but with more/better bass. Personally happy with the choice for the money and wouldn’t personally see the benefit of Burmester system but each to their own. The PCM screen is fantastic, very clear, very responsive, only slight annoyances are with music, would like skip forwards or backward buttons either on steering wheel or/and on PCM buttons. The surround camera I think is very good, very very clear and responsive, definitely better than I expected and a must have for me with a car this large and high.

Overall, love the car, really like the look all round (inside and out), really enjoy it to drive, it’s extremely comfortable makes me smile to look at and drive and don’t have any complaints really. If anything the engine sound could be little more impressive but to be fair have not driven very hard. The car definitely has some wow factor and gets attention (whether that’s good or bad).

John
Hi John,
Thanks for the write-up.
I'm still waiting for my S, another 8 weeks approx.
I think you can program the button with diamond symbol on the steering wheel to do what you like, so could consider having this as your "next track" button?
Hope that helps
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Back to France... travel in Macan is an absolute pleasure. Mrs P is happy to cover longer distances as a passenger on 14-way comfy seats. Stop-over at Grand Hotel des Templiers. A view of new horse in front of old stablesImage
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Looks very smart, and still clean. [emoji6]

They are brilliant long distance cruisers. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
pmg

Post by pmg »

Mine is now 4months old and just completed 5000 miles. Easily met most expectations. Mpg varies between 25 mpg (shorter runs or pressing it with lots of accelerating on A/B roads) and 34 mpg (cruising at legal limit on motorways).

Like the facelift dash and MFD screen. Not missing HUD from previous BMW. One item I am missing is Matrix headlights which are unfortunately not available yet on Macan but are on 911, Panamera and Cayenne and even Audi Q3/5 within wider VW group. PLDS plus are not as good, i.e do not place light either side of the car in front or approaching.

I have 20 in wheels and air suspension and love the ride combined with "on rails handling" and the exceptional refinement of the whole vehicle
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8