My Macan S impressions

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pivot wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 pm So, while I am visiting Mediterranean area, I am getting used to my new machine. I really like the easy change from mph to km/h, RHD to LHD headlamps and the overall great design of the vehicle! My wife just laughs from my musings, but she is enjoying the ride much better than in our previous cars.

Today, I was stopped by Gendarmerie... after inspecting my drivers license they wanted to see the papers for the car. I explained that it is a new vehicle and in the UK we don’t have to carry papers, everything is online. Firmly but politely I was told that my vehicle would be an attractive target for car thieves. After brief discussion, I showed the officer that when I press the ‘home’ button on the dashboard, the car shows that the vehicle is registered on a Porsche system under my name. That impressed the officers and I was on the road again.

Note to self, next time remember to travel with a green card/book from the insurance firm... it is still in the post.
Strictly speaking, French law requires that you carry the registration document and insurance with you (in the car) at all times.

I compromise with a colour photocopy of same kept alongside my passport (never left in the car - I find that the daftest rule ever!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks for the feedback Col and Paul.

On a separate note, I see I have Falken tyres and they ride well, perhaps a little too soft for me, but I am riding on 18” rims, so shouldn’t be surprised. On a positive side, navigating over the speed-bumps is an absolute bliss.
I am aware of Falken brand, they have a race-track creds, but what kind of real-life durability can I expect in comparison to Michelin on Contis?
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ Falken are not fitted O.E. to the Macan and will not carry their "N" approved mark on the tyre sidewall. So if your car is under warranty it will be a non-approved product.

Google "what are N-rated tyres" for full information.

Michelin Latitude Sport 3 probably have the highest mileage capability on the Macan.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^^

(back to tyre wear!). My GTS has Michelin Latitude Sport 3 - new rears changed in Feb on 3mm at 24000 miles, fronts still on 4.5 so they’ll go to 30 K in Sept at MOT time.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

SAC1 wrote:^^^ Falken are not fitted O.E. to the Macan and will not carry their "N" approved mark on the tyre sidewall. So if your car is under warranty it will be a non-approved product.

Michelin Latitude Sport 3 probably have the highest mileage capability on the Macan.
My Falken tyres do have N0 marking.
I hope OPC didn't change my OEM tyres [emoji849]
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Paul wrote:^^^

(back to tyre wear!). My GTS has Michelin Latitude Sport 3 - new rears changed in Feb on 3mm at 24000 miles, fronts still on 4.5 so they’ll go to 30 K in Sept at MOT time.
Tx Paul
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Pivot wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 am
SAC1 wrote:^^^ Falken are not fitted O.E. to the Macan and will not carry their "N" approved mark on the tyre sidewall. So if your car is under warranty it will be a non-approved product.

My Falken tyres do have N0 marking.
I hope OPC didn't change my OEM tyres [emoji849]
Falken are not listed on the official Porsche site http://tyreselector.porsche.com/widget/gb
Steve

ianst

Post by ianst »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Pivot wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 am Thanks Paul, that explains my observations, when gearing down from 6/7th down to 3rd (e.g. driving steep downhill), there seems to be larger ratio change (4th to 3rd) and engine revving much higher in the process. Not an issue, just getting to know the vehicle.
It will be a good discussion with a pro, when I eventually get an invite to the Porsche track day.
When you get back home ring the PEC directly to arrange your session there.

You should have received an invite quite a while ago.

That said all it takes is for your email to be wrongly keyed in and you will never get an invite, that is precisely what happened to me.
When do you get your invite? after build slot is confirmed or straight after deposit?
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:05 am ^^^

My S is wears Michelins on 20s and were at between 4.7 and 5.1 also at the end of Feb and at about 25000.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

ianst wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Pivot wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 am Thanks Paul, that explains my observations, when gearing down from 6/7th down to 3rd (e.g. driving steep downhill), there seems to be larger ratio change (4th to 3rd) and engine revving much higher in the process. Not an issue, just getting to know the vehicle.
It will be a good discussion with a pro, when I eventually get an invite to the Porsche track day.
When you get back home ring the PEC directly to arrange your session there.

You should have received an invite quite a while ago.

That said all it takes is for your email to be wrongly keyed in and you will never get an invite, that is precisely what happened to me.
When do you get your invite? after build slot is confirmed or straight after deposit?
After deposit.
Steve