MOT's to be suspended for [up to] 6 months

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

My MOT was done at Kwik Fit last week, no issues at all. Just have to wait outside the office while they do it.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Ti Rich wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:34 pm My MOT was done at Kwik Fit last week, no issues at all. Just have to wait outside the office while they do it.

Yes but I'm not a key worker so it's an unnecessary journey. For me it seems sensible to take the extension whatever, unless you think your car may be unroadworthy.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Ti Rich wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:34 pm My MOT was done at Kwik Fit last week, no issues at all. Just have to wait outside the office while they do it.
Never thought I'd hear the words 'Kwik fit for an MOT and no issues' in the same sentence!
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
GWL

Post by GWL »

Surprised you took the infection risk, considering your car is only 3 years old and you would have got another 6 months free at the Government's grace. Not exactly an essential journey .

Brooklands have been contacting me almost weekly for the last few months (my MOT was 6th May). I've declined their offers to make a non essential journey and pay for something I don't now need until November.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

GWL wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:43 pm
Surprised you took the infection risk, considering your car is only 3 years old and you would have got another 6 months free at the Government's grace. Not exactly an essential journey .

Brooklands have been contacting me almost weekly for the last few months (my MOT was 6th May). I've declined their offers to make a non essential journey and pay for something I don't now need until November.
A few points:-

1. Kwik Fit is less than a mile from my house and I dropped it off while food shopping at Sainsbury's next door. No special journey was made.
2. The MOT was paid online and the closest I came to any person was throwing my car keys to them from a few meters. I think the infection risk was far less than that encountered at the shops.
3. The MOT was done while the original Porsche Warranty was still valid. I wanted to see if there were any faults that needed addressing. Not sure Porsche would allow a six-month warranty extension like the Government!
4. Yes I am a Keyworker and yes I need to travel to work some days (but not all)
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Porsche are giving customers an extra 3 months warranty extension for free if existing warranty expires before end of May
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Ti Rich - a few very good points! Maybe a few too many assumptions in previous post without a clue as to the facts. Good info about how easy it was to sort at Kwik Fit.

Back to MOT’s, I’ve 2nd vehicle that was in storage & on a SORN, I’ve just tried to tax it as it needs to be moved, but the MOT expired on Mar 26th, 6 month grace period only covers MOTs that expired after 30th March. I believe legally you can drive to an MOT appointment but where I live currently I’ve no options. In limbo.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Alfanut wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:03 pm
Back to MOT’s, I’ve 2nd vehicle that was in storage & on a SORN, I’ve just tried to tax it as it needs to be moved, but the MOT expired on Mar 26th, 6 month grace period only covers MOTs that expired after 30th March. I believe legally you can drive to an MOT appointment but where I live currently I’ve no options. In limbo.
You can drive it on SORN as long as it’s for an MOT booked appointment. Solution, book an appointment at a site near your chosen location for storage, if you choose not to have it carried out, store it and cancel the appointment, sorted. 😉 here to help 👍🤐
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
GWL

Post by GWL »

Ti Rich wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm A few points:-

4. Yes I am a Keyworker and yes I need to travel to work some days (but not all)
Sorry - I seem to have touched a nerve. I made no reference to key workers.
For the record, now that you mention it, I'm a key worker too.
Previous :
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
GWL

Post by GWL »

Alfanut wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:03 pm Ti Rich - a few very good points! Maybe a few too many assumptions in previous post without a clue as to the facts.
What assumptions?
Previous :
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i