Macan Turbo Drive Shaft

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Pookie

Post by Pookie »

Glad I'm racking the miles up..I'll hit 15k in 3-4 month's....be interested to see past that figure..
Jon, you are allowed to park it and switch off every now and then. How do you manage to wash it on the go?LOL How are the tyres, soon be needing another set??
Macan SD 01/05/15
Macan GTS 01/09/16
BMW X101/11/17 :roll:
Cayman 718 bought 01/03/19
Macan 2 litre 27/08/2020

wizard

Post by wizard »

I think what Porsche did was issue a software update to alter the loadings on the drive shafts to avoid the issue.

There's a tech note describing the issue it's WM404425 Eliminating noise symptoms - Programming all-wheel
drive control unit (Strong vibrations during acceleration). It details r
e-programming the all-wheel control unit..... and tells the tech to replace the drive shafts if they are already damaged/broken.
...perhaps Porsche have upgraded the transfer box for curent models.

13K / 14K mileage seems to be a consistent figure when the problem appears.
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Good to know.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
MikeUK

Post by MikeUK »

Problem referred to Porsche Germany and they have diagnosed it as a transfer box issue. Replacement parts should arrive in the next few days and hopefully I'll be back on the road early next week. I will confirm full resolution after I get the motor back. All under warranty thank god as I hate to think what this would have cost! Thanks again for the feedback. Cheers
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Glad I'm racking the miles up..I'll hit 15k in 3-4 month's....be interested to see past that figure..
Jon, you are allowed to park it and switch off every now and then. <span style="line-height: 16.8px;">How do you manage to wash it on the go?</span>LOL How are the tyres, soon be needing another set??
can't resist a ride out pookie. .but tyres are doing ok I dare not measure of fear of dissapiontment ..I'll pluck up the courage to measure tomorrow jonmacan2016-01-07 21:21:26
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Problem referred to Porsche Germany and they have diagnosed it as a transfer box issue. Replacement parts should arrive in the next few days and hopefully I'll be back on the road early next week. I will confirm full resolution after I get the motor back. All under warranty thank god as I hate to think what this would have cost! Thanks again for the feedback. Cheers

Cool. Glad you're going to be sorted mate

AG
Salty

Post by Salty »

MikeUK wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:32 pm Problem referred to Porsche Germany and they have diagnosed it as a transfer box issue. Replacement parts should arrive in the next few days and hopefully I'll be back on the road early next week. I will confirm full resolution after I get the motor back. All under warranty thank god as I hate to think what this would have cost! Thanks again for the feedback. Cheers
I would be interested to know what the outcome was regarding this. My wife’s 2014 Macan S is currently with the dealer who have reported that the issue is with the drive shafts which will need replacing. There has been no mention of a problem with the transfer box so far.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This highlights a major concern that I am starting to develop with my Porsche ownership.

Lets face it until fairly recently they were a niche car maker, not one used to the production of massive numbers of vehicles.

That said on some issues they do seem to be underengineering components, the transfer box and the PDKs ability to handle high torque being two in particular.

We could probably do with a sticky thread starting on what are starting to be the problems being encountered.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags