New macan s connectivity

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I think there’s some confusion here. The SIM referenced above for LTE, Connect services, etc is an embedded SIM to which the owner has no access. The SIM slot is for owners who do not wish to use Porsche supplied data, after any free period, and can therefore buy and install their own SIM. This is for data in the car, ie WIFI for devices.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 pm I think there’s some confusion here. The SIM referenced above for LTE, Connect services, etc is an embedded SIM to which the owner has no access. The SIM slot is for owners who do not wish to use Porsche supplied data, after any free period, and can therefore buy and install their own SIM. This is for data in the car, ie WIFI for devices.
Agreed but the issue is do Gen 3 cars have that Sim slot for independent sim as gen2 did?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Neil1911 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:25 pm ^^^ It's a bit outside my comfort zone but I'm sure that there is a built in SIM and the slot which allows an additional (alternative?) SIM to be used. Don't knock the SD card, BanZ, it turns the car into a veritable jukebox, no phone needed.
I’m not knocking it, it’s just I haven’t touched an SD card in years and I’d personally always use a phone to turn my car into a jukebox.
PMS888

Post by PMS888 »

pmg wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 pm I think there’s some confusion here. The SIM referenced above for LTE, Connect services, etc is an embedded SIM to which the owner has no access. The SIM slot is for owners who do not wish to use Porsche supplied data, after any free period, and can therefore buy and install their own SIM. This is for data in the car, ie WIFI for devices.
Agreed but the issue is do Gen 3 cars have that Sim slot for independent sim as gen2 did?
I can confirm it doesn’t, the SD card and SIM slot has gone.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I have just been looking back through some of my past saved configurations. At the time of the model yr 2019 cars this phrase was present in the standard spec section ;-

"• To use music streaming and WiFi, data packages are available to purchase in the Connect Store. Alternatively a data enabled
SIM card and a separate valid subscription to a mobile network provider (subject to charge) can be used
instead of the Integrated SIM."

The phrase is not present from about MY 2020 onwards although MY 2020 and 2021 cars have a separate sim slot in the centre storage
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Sniperob

Post by Sniperob »

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

I guess Porsche decided not to provide a SIM slot for owners instead get the owner to pay for the additional data subscription once the free period is over.
First Porsche ordered September 2021: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNLRZA37

Build completion 14th May. Collected 30th June. Macan S Volcano Grey
New User

Post by New User »

CD242287-E365-4CB8-95D0-9E8FF7D45701.png

This capture is from the autogefühl review of the Gen 3 S on youtube and it does seem to be fitted with the SIM and SD slots.
Deleted User 4449

Post by Deleted User 4449 »

Can confirm as a Gen 3 owner, absolute no sim or sd slots in armrest only two usb-c slots !
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Highflyer99 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:21 am Can confirm as a Gen 3 owner, absolute no sim or sd slots in armrest only two usb-c slots !
Seems the German spec must be different then, or unless the one in the review was a different spec as a press car.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Every supplier of anything in the world these days seems to want to move to the "subscription model" so it doesn't surprise me if Porsche are jumping on the bandwagon.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP