Headlight lenses WTF is happening?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

happy days wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:29 am
Paul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 pm Did Happy Days not have something similar on his 718 a while back?
My concern was that a good stone chip and the light unit would shatter. Long story short, the dealer principal agreed a cost share - I paid £350 contribution and they replaced both headlights.

(good memory there, Paul...)
Hi Happy

Though you were not happy and rightly so, I've just had an update that Porsche UK have offered to replace both headlights but my contribution will be double what you paid.
Maybe my car is older thus the difference but at least its not the full amount and the Macan will look like its supposed to and not a cheap pile of expensive badge it currently resembles :roll:
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

grantcoghill

Post by grantcoghill »

This may not be of any use but I had the exact same problem with my motorhome - it had a large over cab roof light made out of plexiglass and pretty highly stressed after the moulding process. I used silicone spray on the rubber gasket to stop it sticking to the plexiglass due to the heat from the sun. After a short period of time the plastic cracked in the same manner and I had to get it changed - the MH was only 2 years old and the manufacturer who did the window change would not entertain a warranty claim.
GWL

Post by GWL »

Just noticed this "crazing" starting to happen on my Macan :roll: :cry: At the moment, it's spreading from near the headlamp washers for a distance of about 3cm - so not in the line of the beams.

If it gets worse, I may take it tan an OPC - don't know whether I'll get any goodwill from Porsche - the car's coming up to 6 years old and I'm the 3rd owner - though all servicing done by OPCs.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

GWL wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm Just noticed this "crazing" starting to happen on my Macan :roll: :cry: At the moment, it's spreading from near the headlamp washers for a distance of about 3cm - so not in the line of the beams.

If it gets worse, I may take it tan an OPC - don't know whether I'll get any goodwill from Porsche - the car's coming up to 6 years old and I'm the 3rd owner - though all servicing done by OPCs.
If they dont, shop araound.

Albeit my local OPC have yet to carry out the work due to my commitments, out of interest i called another OPC today for a quote to purchase the headlights.
The direct replacements were £1151 each (£2302pair)
There is also another version whereby the lenses are ‘tinted’ and are priced at £1441 for the pair !!

Im a bit miffed my local OPC stated in a correspondence that the headlights were £2739! :roll:

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Seeing similar but less serious crazing developed on my 2015 Macan S. Will check with my OPC and see what they say.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

bbpxbbpx wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 pm Seeing similar but less serious crazing developed on my 2015 Macan S. Will check with my OPC and see what they say.
Would be interested in what response you receive.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

It actually wasn't near as bad and feels like normal wear and tear when I checked under daylight. So I have not brought up with opc.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

GWL wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm Just noticed this "crazing" starting to happen on my Macan :roll: :cry: At the moment, it's spreading from near the headlamp washers for a distance of about 3cm - so not in the line of the beams.

My passenger side headlight has just started this as well, exactly as you describe from the headlight washer. It’s at the OPC right now for appraisal, so lets see what they say. I am not hopeful

Perhaps if everyone with this issue can log it on this thread we at least have the evidence that this is a common issue.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Kleynie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:31 am

My passenger side headlight has just started this as well, exactly as you describe from the headlight washer. It’s at the OPC right now for appraisal, so lets see what they say. I am not hopeful

Perhaps if everyone with this issue can log it on this thread we at least have the evidence that this is a common issue.
Good luck, will be Interested in their response.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

r1flyguy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

Good luck, will be Interested in their response.
Well it’s not looking good, had a call to say it was cosmetic and not covered under warranty, I said I was expecting the same contribution that others had been offered on various forums, so they are looking at it again.

Problem is, I have LED Active lights with washers and I believe they are around £1400 per side, so I will still have a large bill.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.