Oil Leak - Engine out?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
GWDALBA

Post by GWDALBA »

When my Macan was having the Transfer Box replaced last month they reported a suspected oil leak. I have now been booked in to have this discovered further and been informed that the engine will have to come out. Has anyone had this done previously? Needless to say I was a bit surprised they need to do this but the service advisor assured me this was normal practise. This will be done by my OPC and the car is under warranty.
2016 Macan GTS in Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S 987 in GT Silver

JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Discussing my potential new purchase with my local OPC and asking what issues could be there in the future apparently some engines can suffer with a leak around the timing chain housing.
He advised when my potential purchase is getting near the end of its 3 year warranty to bring it in and they will check the engine for this leak as it is an engine out job. Along with checking the transfer box, so any issues can be addressed under the 3 year warranty.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

JurassicMacan wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:26 pm Discussing my potential new purchase with my local OPC and asking what issues could be there in the future apparently some engines can suffer with a leak around the timing chain housing.
He advised when my potential purchase is getting near the end of its 3 year warranty to bring it in and they will check the engine for this leak as it is an engine out job. Along with checking the transfer box, so any issues can be addressed under the 3 year warranty.
Transfer box should be covered for longer than 3 years, typically 7 years from new.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Yes that is correct 7 years for the transfer box.
He was suggesting I make sure I have the car checked before the expiry of the 3 years as they can fix everything, also the 111? Point check for extended warranty is cheaper.
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

On another point, I spoke to OPC Cardiff first before my local OPC as they are the dealer who have serviced the car. I asked about the process of extending after the initial 3 years. The person I was put in contact with stated that if the car was sold from its first owner to me through a non OPC dealer then the initial 3 year warranty was nullified as the car had been sold outside of the OPC dealer network. I challenged this several times stating that cannot be correct but to no avail.
Then I spoke to OPC Bournemouth who laughed and said it was rubbish. Hmmmm! Knowledgeable dealers😤
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Yes had the timing chain oil leak and engine gearbox out plus all the front suspension. Took the OPC three weeks to do the work pre COVID
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
GWDALBA

Post by GWDALBA »

Interesting Madelvic, as I was told two weeks work. I assume all is well after engine was removed and put back?
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

What MYs are yours that are suffering with the timing chain housing leak?
GWDALBA

Post by GWDALBA »

JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

An oil leak on my 2016 Petrol "S" was traced to gasket failure in April - one year out of warranty - which opc (Portsmouth) scheduled 5 days to replace all gaskets and related seals (except head gasket). The negotiated customer contribution came to 12% (equivalent to 29% of labour cost) which at just under £800 was close to warranty renewal cost. The work has now been done (courtesy Cayenne included) with 2 year parts/labour warranty. A great result considering a potential £6,000 +++ bill.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16