Squealing / screeching at about 1400rpm

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
GWL

Post by GWL »

Hello all,

My MY2015 Macan Turbo has started making a squealing / screeching noise in the 1200-1400 rpm range (I'm not touching the brakes) whether accelerating or decelerating. It sounds like a worn belt or belt-pulley noise (or a "bag of budgies" as SWMBO describes it).

This has been happening for a month or two now, but last week we were down in Wales driving along narrow roads with the windows down and the engine mostly running at 1400rpm and the noise was very noticeable and annoying. The car is 6 years old but has only done 30,000 miles

I know there is an issue with exhaust brackets cracking/rubbing on early Macans but my car has sometime previously had the offending bracket removed.

I will be making a booking on Monday to get it investigated - but in the meantime, has anyone here experienced this or have any thoughts on what it might be?

Also, thinking of booking the car in with RSJ Sports Cars in Slough - anyone have any experience of them? I don't really want to pay OPC prices on a 6 year old car, and I have a 3rd party warranty anyway.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Does the noise rise and fall with engine speed or road speed? (I know you mention rpm range but is that in one gear?)
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
GWL

Post by GWL »

I must admit, I hadn't noted which gear the car was in (or what speed) when the noise occurred. It could be that it's happening at a certain speed/gear combination which equates to 1200-1400 rpm. Thinking about it, it is usually when the car is doing around 30 mph.

As this has now become worse, I'll start keeping an eye on whether it's speed and/or rpm in a certain gear.

Interestingly, the car had been stationary all day until I had to move it off our drive this evening. Before I turned off the engine, with the car in neutral I held the engine revs at the offending 1400 rpm range - not a squeak :roll:

So, either 1) it only happens when the car is hot or 2) it only happens when the car is moving - so maybe drive-train related.

I'll do a bit more investigating while I'm waiting for the car to go in.
Previous :
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

One of the classic causes of squealing noises on the move is a stone trapped between a brake disc and its metal shroud. Sometimes the offending stone will drop out quite quickly, or will be removed when the car reverses. But stones can get permanently jammed and might need a wheel off to get access to spot and remove. Surprisingly the noise isn't always constant, as you might expect.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

GWL

Post by GWL »

Bit of an update :

Having done a lot more Googling, I've discovered a thread here : https://www.macanforum.com/threads/crac ... 953/page-8 which contains this YouTube clip https://youtu.be/aAD1JGpG1FU which displays exactly the symptoms (noise / rpm range) I'm experiencing. In that particular case the user's car is stationary, but there is another clip in the same thread which shows the noise happening with a Macan while being driven. Note the squeek/chirp as the engine passes through 1100 - 1400 rpm.

It turns out this is an issue on early Macans relating to vibration of the exhaust system. I know this issue has been addressed previously on this forum, but I thought the noise would be a low level vibration only - which my car does suffer from at around 1100rpm. However, it turns out that it can also create the high-pitched squeal or 'chirp' which sounds more like a drive-belt / pulley bearing problem.

There is a Porsche Technical Bulletin for this issue (though again it doesn't mention squealing/screeching). This has also been noted previously on this forum, but here's the link to it anyway : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 6-9999.pdf:

My car goes in to RSJ in Slough next week, but I'm now 99% certain the problem is as described above.
Previous :
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Interesting - when I first heard the video I was going to suggest it was a turbo waste gate noise. I notice in the video that he never hits any boost on the gauge.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
GWL

Post by GWL »

Just to wrap this up....

On Monday I had the "modified" sections of the exhaust fitted as per the Porsche Technical note referred to in my previous post. I'm relieved to say this has cured the squeal/screech the car was making. Downside is the job cost £850, done at RSJ Sports Cars, Slough - the cost of peace mind (and no longer being embarrassed by the noise the car made :roll: )
Previous :
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Great you've got it fixed and thanks for the info. Shouldn't Porsche have covered this cost though?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold