Lane Keep Assist not working

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:21 am
jaffacake wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 am Do you have a button to turn Lane Keep Assist on?

Neithet feature is standard.
Lane Departure Warning was standard on my MY2017 Turbo. I certainly would not have ordered such an infernal nuisance! It remains permanently switched off.
And ours although gen 2
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

LDW was standard. LKA was not.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

And why anybody needs LKA is a worry
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

jaffacake wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 am Do you have a button to turn Lane Keep Assist on?

Lane Departure Warning was standard on my MY2017 Turbo. I certainly would not have ordered such an infernal nuisance! It remains permanently switched off.
+1 on my 2015 SD. Like Nick it was never switched on in five years of ownership. When I've a spare moment, I'll check if it's there on the GTS because I didn't order it.
Edit: The LDW button is there so it must be standard.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

My bad, I was talking about Lane Change Assist - too many options!
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Botis

Post by Botis »

Thanks all for the input, really helpful

Despite documentation from the seller describing otherwise, It does indeed appear that I only have Lane Departure Warning in the new vehicle. I never paid much attention to the switch but as Connoisseur points out from the manual, there is a subtle difference in that a small steering wheel is present when you have Lane Keep Assist fitted.

Generally I never used LKA in my last Macan but did find it useful on long motorway trips. It just seemed to take some of the pressure off the wheel requiring less input at motorway speeds. I went down to Devon at the weekend and have to say I actually missed the feature. I assume the hardware that provides the correction is already present so anyone ever heard of having this feature retrofitted?
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have Lane keep assist and I have only used it twice, not very good at all.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:42 pm I have Lane keep assist and I have only used it twice, not very good at all.
I think it's quite subjective, works well for me.

It's no substitute for attentive driving, but a good backup. I recently got caught in a massive unexpected sideways gust of wind on an open stretch of motorway. The van in front was blown fully into the next lane. The LKA caught it and I never even crossed the white line.
---

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

jaffacake wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:36 am
Kleynie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:42 pm I have Lane keep assist and I have only used it twice, not very good at all.
I think it's quite subjective, works well for me.

It's no substitute for attentive driving, but a good backup. I recently got caught in a massive unexpected sideways gust of wind on an open stretch of motorway. The van in front was blown fully into the next lane. The LKA caught it and I never even crossed the white line.
Maybe I need to try it again. I’m not a big fan of these systems, however the lane change assist is brilliant and I use it all the time.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 am Maybe I need to try it again. I’m not a big fan of these systems, however the lane change assist is brilliant and I use it all the time.
Yeah, lane change is similar for me - no substitute for proper use of mirrors, but awesome for showing that person is still there in your blind spot. I know a lot of seasoned drivers claim "there is no blind spot" as you can look over your shoulder etc, but having a light confirming there is somebody in that area is perfect.

Lane keep assist isn't perfect, but I've gone from having it default off and turning it on when I think I want it, to having it default on and turning it off when I don't. It shouldn't ever really trigger unless it needs to, if you stray over the line it will trigger. If you indicate first, it won't. It's something of a good test of how good a driver you are, as if you indicate when you should it won't trigger often. I found I was quite bad at indicating when going around a cyclist on the left of a lane, I was only crossing the line a little bit and didn't think it was worth it. LKA said no and tried to steer me back towards the cyclist. If I'd indicated clearly it wouldn't do that.
---