Windscreen - needs replacing due to large chip/crack - do you get autoglass to do it?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
hellypips

Post by hellypips »

Hi

Yesterday I got a large chip in the windscreen of our new Macan GTS (have had it only 6 weeks). I phoned up our insurance company (Churchill) who put me directly through to Autoglass. I asked for Porche windscreen not just a windscreen that autoglass deem appropriate, but apparently our insurance doesn't cover Porche windscreen.

So my question is... is it ok for a non-Porche windscreen? (does it invalidate anything?) and also is it ok to be fitted by autoglass? or do I need to go to Porche directly and get Porche garage to do it with proper glass?

Thanks for your help and insights!

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Hi - sorry to here of your issue on such a new purchase.
There have been some previous threads on this very issue. It is likely that some systems including the lane departure warning will need to be re-set after fitting. Your OPC may anyhow outsource windscreen fitting to a company that does it ‘daily’ but it may be worth having this all done at once? I would probably ask your OPC on your options. Good luck.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Yeah, this is a bit of a minefield. For LDW or LKA, new glass requires a re-calibration of the system - this takes around 4 hours as the wheel alignment is checked as part of the process.

Go back to Churchill and explain that for safety reasons you need to have this fitted by Porsche and see what they say.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Col M

Post by Col M »

Is the GTS new or new to you? If the car is under 3 years old Autoglass use OEM screens. They also now have a number of calibration centres. It totally depends on your policy. When I changed cars, whilst still on an Admiral policy, you paid £70 if Autoglass did the replacement but they would contribute just £70 if the replacement was done by another company.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Paul

Post by Paul »

I had a screen changed on my GTS in January.
Done by Autoglass, very professional, with full camera alignment (LKA only) lasers attached to all 4 wheels etc etc. They even supplied me with a new sticky pad for my Sanef toll tag 😊
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
hellypips

Post by hellypips »

Thanksfor the feedback - yes it's brand new (Aufust 2020) and it does have the lane drift senses etc. I Will get back in contact with Churchill regarding that safety element! Much appreciated.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I had a windscreen replaced on my SD by Autoglass. They insisted on it going to one of their main centres so they could recalibrate all the systems. First class job.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

I had my GTS done by Autoglass and was done at one of their centres and everything was recalibrated with a certificate issued. Insured thru Admiral. Glass used is OEM standard and I think if I recall correctly there is in fact no "Porsche" markings on the original factory fit screens anyway. Just make sure the fitter is familiar with the plastic cover around the mirror, camera unit as the plastic clips can be easily broken if he hasn't done them before.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

hellypips wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:13 pm Hi

Yesterday I got a large chip in the windscreen of our new Macan GTS (have had it only 6 weeks). I phoned up our insurance company (Churchill) who put me directly through to Autoglass. I asked for Porche windscreen not just a windscreen that autoglass deem appropriate, but apparently our insurance doesn't cover Porche windscreen.

So my question is... is it ok for a non-Porche windscreen? (does it invalidate anything?) and also is it ok to be fitted by autoglass? or do I need to go to Porche directly and get Porche garage to do it with proper glass?

Thanks for your help and insights!
I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass a few weeks ago. I wanted a Porsche screen so I phoned them directly. Told them I was under extended warranty. They said they would need to get approval from Aviva for the original fit glass. No problems. Didn't even have to contact Aviva at any time during the process. Autoglass handled the entire claim and did an excellent job fitting the new screen. Top marks!
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015