Vibration from brake pedal when stationary braking

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
JimmyGTS

Post by JimmyGTS »

Hoping someone can help!

I am now on my 4th Macan (2 Diesel S' & 2 GTS'), and when driving my new Macan (70 Plate Gen2 GTS) I am finding that when I am stationary braking on an incline or decline there is a strong vibration coming from the brake pedal, that often builds till the vibrations resonate through the cabin. Doesn't happen when on a flat surface though.

I had the car in at my local/supplying dealership for 3 days recently, only to be told (after being told on a few occasions that they were unable to replicate it) that this was a "characteristic" of the car, and not a fault from any part of the car.

Having owned 3 previous Macan's, and driven many other cars over the years (from Bentley's and Aston Martin's to Honda's and Peugeot's) I have never experienced this in a car before, so find it hard to accept that there isn't something else going on that is resulting in the vibrations I am experiencing.
Easier for them to just label it as a characteristic than truly investigate - and made worse as (due to COVID) I can't even go out in the car with the technician to show him exactly what is happening.

I spoke with the investigating technician at length about things to check (whether he did or not is another matter):

Throttle Body
Spark Plugs
Engine Mounts
Vacuum Leak
Filter
Exhaust (lose brackets, touching something it shouldn't be)

Has anyone experienced this type of thing with their Macan before?

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nope, never had brake vibration when stationary on an incline. Do use the HOLD function then though.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
JimmyGTS

Post by JimmyGTS »

Hi Steve,

The hold function could come into play on an incline, and when the handbrake is on the vibration stops altogether. It's only when the brake is pressed and held on the incline or decline that the vibrations start.
It's most common when braking and waiting at a junction at the bottom of a hill - something we have a lot of here in Sheffield!
In my mind what I'm experiencing simply can't be right.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^ Agree.

Can only suggest that you go back to your OPC and perhaps get the Service Manager involved.
Steve

JimmyGTS

Post by JimmyGTS »

They were telling me that they just happened to have another GTS in at the time mine was in (which is a rare occurrence), compared the two and found them to be the same. Not sure I believe them, but kind of have to take their word for it to an extent.
Another thing I asked them to look at was how low the revs were on tickover - 600rpm, which is very low and maybe a contributing factor to the vibrations - the engine searching/borderline stalling. Again, told the other GTS they had in ticked over at 600rpm too.
Is yours the same?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Yes, once engine is warm it ticks over at 600 rpm.
Steve

JimmyGTS

Post by JimmyGTS »

Thanks for getting back to me on that, much appreciated.
Good to know they weren’t lying.
In my experience it’s rare for a car to idle at less than 800/900rpm, but nice to hear yours is the same as mine.
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

JimmyGTS wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:25 pm They were telling me that they just happened to have another GTS in at the time mine was in (which is a rare occurrence), compared the two and found them to be the same. Not sure I believe them, but kind of have to take their word for it to an extent.
Another thing I asked them to look at was how low the revs were on tickover - 600rpm, which is very low and maybe a contributing factor to the vibrations - the engine searching/borderline stalling. Again, told the other GTS they had in ticked over at 600rpm too.
Is yours the same?
I thought the 600 seemed low so i made sure I checked mine out of interest...

287B9C72-38B2-443C-B93E-77D17068DD66.jpeg

JimmyGTS

Post by JimmyGTS »

Thanks for your post and picture. Reassuring that it’s normal for the car.
Never known a car with such a low tickover.
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Yes me neither.

Would be interesting if anyone had a technical explanation for this.