Is this normal (rust/corrosion)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Hello all.

Need some advise and expertise please. My approved used macan (2019) is being picked up tomorrow so that it can be taken back to the opc to have some stuff rectified that I wasn't happy about when the handover took place on Monday (front bumper covered in chips that had been sprayed over, and rear tyres were less than 3mm on outer tread depth).

Since then I noticed a crack in the key fob (superficial but want it sorting) and the rear vent toggle fell off when I adjusted.

Okay not looking great so far but seeming rectifiable.

Now the car is not quite 2 years old with just 17K on the clock and upon closer inspection all the wheel hubs and discs are covered in rust/corrosion. Is this normal? Can this be cleaned up? How have they got into this state?

I think the dealership already has an idea I'm a nightmare customer but seeing this is making me wonder whether I should be utilising the 14 day cooling off period, as gutting as that would be. Especially as my f pace is now theirs and the porsche is now in my name (v5c received today).

Images below. Look forward to hearing your advice.

Screenshot_20201028-224536_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-224547_Video Player.jpg

Botis

Post by Botis »

Will take a close look at mine In the morning but think a bit of surface rust is not unusual. I think the extent will depend on where the car has been driven and the previous owners cleaning regime.

Structurally they will be fine of course but appreciate aesthetically they don’t look the best.

The 111 point report should detail the the thickness of the discs so you can determine how much life is left in them before replacements are due.

I suppose you could remove the wheels and use a course brush to get rid of it however it’s likely to return eventually unless you treat the surface with something after. That’s what I did on the rear drum brakes of my Up GTI. Had seen the drums rust on others quite quickly so sprayed them with black calliper paint shortly after I got it and they still look good now.

Now should you have to go to these lengths, of course not, but the quality of some parts are not what they should,be. At least your centre caps are not corroded 🙈
Last edited by Botis on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Not uncommon, discs are not painted and surface rust is going to develop, even more so if car’s wheels regularly power washed, exposed to water, near the coast etc.
Last edited by MikeM on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

In my experience, very dependant on what cleaning products have been used, ie if acid alloy wheel cleaner has been used on regular basis it seems encourage? Disc rust.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Thanks, do you reckon it be cleaned at all. I'm quite fussy and when it comes to cleaning and detailing. Not quite ceramic coating fussy but clay bar and AG UHD wax every six months and clean inside out every fortnight or so.

From your responses so far it sounds like its not uncommon so guess a few of your cars are in a similar state?

Wonder if its covered in the warranty... 🤔
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

No, not covered under warranty, and OPC unlikely to do anything about it. As others have said, it's common, depending on use and care. If it bothers you then wheels off, wire brush and spray or brush paint the centre hub part of the discs with high temperature paint.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I wouldn’t be accepting that on such a fresh car. My 4 year old GTS hadn’t anything like that when I sold it so couldn’t accept that as being normal. Easily sorted I’m sure by the OPC but their standards on preparation of your car haven’t been great it seems.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

MCDK wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:15 am I wouldn’t be accepting that on such a fresh car. My 4 year old GTS hadn’t anything like that when I sold it so couldn’t accept that as being normal. Easily sorted I’m sure by the OPC but their standards on preparation of your car haven’t been great it seems.
MCDK I don't think you can actually suggest your experience over 4 years as “Normal 🤔” 10k miles and Never went out in the rain or winter weather 😂😂😂. Somebody certainly had a great used buy though 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes Mike someone certainly got an excellent used car and my usage was very protective of car condition. Still don’t think those pics above look like a well cared for car, occasional paid for car washes will never look after a car properly nor use products sympathetic to the cars paint surfaces.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I've seen alot of Macans like that, so would say it's normal. Probably down to having cleaning agents sprayed on and attacking the surface.