Is this normal (rust/corrosion)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Pretty much any car used in a UK winter for 2 or more years, will exhibit that kind of corrosion on the discs, unless you opt for carbon ceramics?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Sounds like the norm then for porsche and a few other manufacturers. Just my wife's jag XE which was 4 years old did have it, at my f pace that was a year and half old still looked like new.
It will annoy me so I'll mention it to OPC but might have to have the wheels off and try to clean up myself.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Normal. You could change the disks and paint the hubs if you were that fussy.

I have a neighbour who knows little about cars but has owned an F40. He said to me "the surface of the disks on my R8 are rusty, I'm off to the dealer to complain". Later on I saw him and he said "you'll never believe this but when I got to the dealer the disks weren't rusty anymore". Couldn't make it up
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I found Gtecniq W6 iron and fallout remover has been good at removing light surface rust from the wheel hub area if not too far gone. I use it every couple of months on wheels and callipers where it works well!
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Looks normal to me, most discs are a sort of cast iron, hard but it will rust with water and oxygen.

They can get hot if driven correctly so only worth painting if you drive like a granny!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Smudger

Post by Smudger »

My Macan is. 2018 with 7.5k and I’ve noticed slight corrosion on the wheel hubs disks etc. Unfortunately I thought it was because my car is left outside and we live near the coast. My previous RR Sport went very unsightly, the Porsche is fairing a lot better, think it’s quite normal. Doesn’t sound like the car was prepped very well with regards tyre condition and paint. Good luck getting if sorted 👍
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

The rust on the hubs is worse than on mine (also a two year old car) but I guess it depends on the conditions it's been exposed to - I wouldn't be concerned.

The outer edge of the disc doesn't look great though. It there quite a lip? Looks pitted aswell?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

I think brake hub/disc rust like that is normal - they rusted on my SD. Cosmetic only.

So when I part-exchanged it for a Turbo, I painted the hubs - see my post

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7784&p=161601#p161601

2 years later - still no rust :)
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Reading these comments I do feel more at ease that I'm not buying a lemon. Although @madelvic, your neighbour must be a bit clueless as even my Mrs knows brake disc surfaces can look a little rusty after the car has been washed which a good drive will clean up.

For me it was more the extent of the surface corrosion/pitting in comparison to my recent cars.

I will try some of that fallout remover and see if I can clean them up a bit, even the exhaust tips look like they've never been cleaned for two years which 5 mins with a bit of meg detailer and a microfiber already vastly improved.

The car was collected yesterday to be taken back to OPC so that they can put two new tyres on and sort the front bumper paintwork. Also asked them to check the tracking/alignment due to the uneven wear.

Honestly looking forward to getting it back already. Cheers all.
With the number of responses and advise its quite clear the macan owners are a passionate bunch
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Funrider wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:32 am I think brake hub/disc rust like that is normal - they rusted on my SD. Cosmetic only.

So when I part-exchanged it for a Turbo, I painted the hubs - see my post

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7784&p=161601#p161601

2 years later - still no rust :)
Great job on those, looks very neat. Its a shame that Porsche can't just do that bit extra from the factory to save all this. On a brand of car this prestigious, its one of the few let downs.