It never rains, it pours!!!

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
JS18GTS

Post by JS18GTS »

Mines finally going in tomorrow. Although I know I’ve got to pay in full and claim back from LV once it’s done minus the £395 excess.
£50 excess on a macan screen is good who are you insured with?

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Strange this.

Mine's just cracked too. Passenger side, coming up from the base about 12".

I've been WFH so I didn't use the car for about 10 days. Monday morning I got in again, frost on the screen so a bit of De-icer then started her up and used the window de-mister to melt off the last of it. Saw the crack then but it couldn't be the change in temperature as the heater was still tepid at best.

Long story short I'm booked with Autoglass on Tuesday for a new screen. Cost me £115 excess with Admiral. I'm not fussed about an OEM screen even though I have extended warranty and will renew again in March next year. If they tried to refuse a claim for say a transfer box due to the screen then they can expect a very long battle with me.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Glass replacement carries £60 with my LV= policy.
Never needed to claim though....yet!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

BigPhil wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:45 am Strange this.

Mine's just cracked too. Passenger side, coming up from the base about 12".

I've been WFH so I didn't use the car for about 10 days. Monday morning I got in again, frost on the screen so a bit of De-icer then started her up and used the window de-mister to melt off the last of it. Saw the crack then but it couldn't be the change in temperature as the heater was still tepid at best.

Long story short I'm booked with Autoglass on Tuesday for a new screen. Cost me £115 excess with Admiral. I'm not fussed about an OEM screen even though I have extended warranty and will renew again in March next year. If they tried to refuse a claim for say a transfer box due to the screen then they can expect a very long battle with me.

BigPhil.
Could well have been the temp changes. I’ve seen this happen a few times and it can be due to stresses trapped in the glass and perhaps a small chip in the locality is enough to finally trigger the crack.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

JS18GTS wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:20 pm Mines finally going in tomorrow. Although I know I’ve got to pay in full and claim back from LV once it’s done minus the £395 excess.
£50 excess on a macan screen is good who are you insured with?
A-Plan Thatcham is the agent and Ageas is the insurance company.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Botis

Post by Botis »

My car is in for the transfer box replacement today.

Had been advised I was getting a Boxster as a loan car which I was quite looking forward to as its nice to have a change. Disappointing I have been give a base Macan but was surpised to see it also has a big crack in the windscreen. Looks very similar in dimension to yours however its on the passenger size. No obvious signs of impact on the screen to cause it.

Is this a Macan thing? Appreciate all cars can get damage to their screens from objects hitting them however this does look like it emanates from the frame.
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Botis wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am My car is in for the transfer box replacement today.

Had been advised I was getting a Boxster as a loan car which I was quite looking forward to as its nice to have a change. Disappointing I have been give a base Macan but was surpised to see it also has a big crack in the windscreen. Looks very similar in dimension to yours however its on the passenger size. No obvious signs of impact on the screen to cause it.

Is this a Macan thing? Appreciate all cars can get damage to their screens from objects hitting them however this does look like it emanates from the frame.
Seems like it having delved into this issue and seeing how many have had the same issue, albeit as the norm, Porsche will never admit to it unless its porsche USA :lol: Just like the headlight issue I also had and had to have both replaced. :roll:
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Robmag

Post by Robmag »

I have a Macan S 2015 with 41,000 miles and out of warranty, only by 5 months, and am having a new transfer box fitted, totally paid for by Porsche UK.

It went into an AD, Porsche Leeds, where I was told they would have to put it on the diagnostic machine at a cost of £150 inc vat to confirm it was the transfer box at fault. They also told me Porsche UK have issued a recall because of all the problems with the TB.

Phone call later that day confirmed the recall solution had not worked and they'd been in touch with Porsche UK who had agreed to pay for the repair in full, including the £150 diagnostic charge.... great result.

In America Macan and Cayenne owners, regardless of age, have been given a 10 year warranty on the TB, bet it doesn't happen in the UK.