Oil pressure reading; MY2021 GTS

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Elucius

Post by Elucius »

Was interested to see whether anyone else had experienced this fault.
The oil pressure reading is ok on start up but soon drops to around 1.5 and stays there despite any change in engine revs. Occasionally the reading will climb to 1.5 but drop back. straight away , again not necessarily in keeping with the engine revs. Its booked in, and like me the workshop manager feels its a fault with the gauge or sender unit.

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I posted about this a few months ago but can't find the post now. I was concerned that my 2020 MY GTS had significantly lower oil pressure than my previous SD. Being old, I have the oil pressure showing in Imperial Units but the 22lb/sq in converts to around 1.5 bar. So the value you're getting is the same as I have.

On cold starting pressure can momentarily (English not American meaning) be nearly twice that but it quickly drops back. Apparently, there is a control device which adjusts oil pressure according to load on the engine so the new (2.9L) engine normally runs at a much lower pressure than previous generations.

SAC1 (Steve) also has a 2020 GTS with the same oil pressure values and it was he who provided the technical explanation.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

My S rarely gets above 1.5

I bit worried about the Workshop manager at Elucius's OPC not being up to date with Gen 2 cars!!!!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Elucius

Post by Elucius »

pmg wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:12 am My S rarely gets above 1.5

I bit worried about the Workshop manager at Elucius's OPC not being up to date with Gen 2 cars!!!!
Agreed! I've emailed them!
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I don't normally display oil pressure, but I switched the MFD over to it last night to test.

Gen 1 Turbo S, oil pressure varies a lot with throttle movements and gear (rev) changes.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Elucius

Post by Elucius »

jaffacake wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 am I don't normally display oil pressure, but I switched the MFD over to it last night to test.

Gen 1 Turbo S, oil pressure varies a lot with throttle movements and gear (rev) changes.
Thanks. The oil pressure reading altered on my gen1 GTS with throttle movements but the reading on the gen2 is really different, as explained above I think.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

UPDATE: Took the car out for a run today, mainly on motorway. At light throttle openings the oil pressure is steady at 1.5bar regardless of speed or gear. However, give the car a bit of "welly" and pressure rises to around 2.75bar.

I hadn't spotted this when the car was running in and in the GTS it's not often that there's sufficient time to be able to look down when using wider throttle openings ;) but it confirms that there is some sort of load sensing controlling engine oil pressure.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
RAA

Post by RAA »

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I check the oil pressure in my 2019 Macan S ? The only mention I can see in the instruction manual, is of the warning symbol on the screen, when the oil pressure drops too low.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

RAA wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 am Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I check the oil pressure in my 2019 Macan S ? The only mention I can see in the instruction manual, is of the warning symbol on the screen, when the oil pressure drops too low.
It can be seen in the multi-function display of the instrument panel, and to access it you turn the right hand steering wheel scroll wheel until you see the engine temp, oil temp and oil pressure display.

Also if you have a read of the Porsche ‘Good to Know’ app, you’ll find more info under the ‘Operating multi-function display and multi-function steering wheel’ section.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
RAA

Post by RAA »

AllanG wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:27 am
RAA wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 am Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I check the oil pressure in my 2019 Macan S ? The only mention I can see in the instruction manual, is of the warning symbol on the screen, when the oil pressure drops too low.
It can be seen in the multi-function display of the instrument panel, and to access it you turn the right hand steering wheel scroll wheel until you see the engine temp, oil temp and oil pressure display.

Also if you have a read of the Porsche ‘Good to Know’ app, you’ll find more info under the ‘Operating multi-function display and multi-function steering wheel’ section.
Thanks, Allan !