Battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

AndyC160 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:47 pm I managed to get the battery voltage reading up on the display but I can't find the boost gauge. Do 2.0 cars have this?

The battery is fine as it was reading 12v stationary and 15.3v on the move.
15.3V shows that the alternator is operating at full charge rate. As the battery approaches full charge, the charging voltage will reduce to 14V and at fully charged will drop to 13.2V.

Agree with you that 12V stationary is fine.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

On-Track wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:06 am
AndyC160 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:47 pm I managed to get the battery voltage reading up on the display but I can't find the boost gauge. Do 2.0 cars have this?

The battery is fine as it was reading 12v stationary and 15.3v on the move.
15.3V shows that the alternator is operating at full charge rate. As the battery approaches full charge, the charging voltage will reduce to 14V and at fully charged will drop to 13.2V.

Agree with you that 12V stationary is fine.
I think I'll pop the charger on to get the battery fully charged. From what you're saying it's not fully charged if it's still reading 15.3v.

I'd love to find the boost gauge but I fear it's not available on a lowly 2.0! 🙁
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

When the CTEK charger has reached stage 7, if you turn the charger off and the ignition on you'll find the battery voltage at, or around, 126V.

I know I'm old but I've never seen the fascination with the boost gauge. The three Caymans I had as loan cars all had it and the only time the reading "came off the stops" was if you used wide throttle openings. Traffic conditions usually meant that using wide throttle openings did not mix with taking your eyes off the road to read the boost gauge. In any event, it's only of use (IMHO) if you suspect that the turbo is not performing properly. It's certainly of lower priority than knowing oil pressure and temperature, water temperature and battery voltage.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

On-Track wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am When the CTEK charger has reached stage 7, if you turn the charger off and the ignition on you'll find the battery voltage at, or around, 126V.

I know I'm old but I've never seen the fascination with the boost gauge. The three Caymans I had as loan cars all had it and the only time the reading "came off the stops" was if you used wide throttle openings. Traffic conditions usually meant that using wide throttle openings did not mix with taking your eyes off the road to read the boost gauge. In any event, it's only of use (IMHO) if you suspect that the turbo is not performing properly. It's certainly of lower priority than knowing oil pressure and temperature, water temperature and battery voltage.
Totally agree with you there...not a high priority but it can tell you if there is a problem such as a boost leak etc. Not something you'd expect on the Macan but I like to monitor it on my rs4.
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160