Battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Car sitting not being driven- So how long do others batteries last before the white low battery warning - go for an extended drive- light comes on? Mine lasted 3 weeks and two days. Struggled to open the car with the remote. Not sure why it just decided to work when it did? After multiple attempts the driver's door and boot opened. Some of the comfort and locking settings have gone weird - remote only opens boot and driver's door. Think I can change this in settings. Also, seat and steering wheel don't adjust when getting in and out. Again, I think this can be fixed in the settings. Seat memory position needed to be set aswell. Strange how these things get changed.
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

pmg

Post by pmg »

AndyC160 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:10 pm Car sitting not being driven- So how long do others batteries last before the white low battery warning - go for an extended drive- light comes on? Mine lasted 3 weeks and two days. Struggled to open the car with the remote. Not sure why it just decided to work when it did? After multiple attempts the driver's door and boot opened. Some of the comfort and locking settings have gone weird - remote only opens boot and driver's door. Think I can change this in settings. Also, seat and steering wheel don't adjust when getting in and out. Again, I think this can be fixed in the settings. Seat memory position needed to be set aswell. Strange how these things get changed.

You may find if battery not charged by long enough runs, the battery protection software kicks in and one by one marginal electrical services like comfort operation of the seat do not operate even if set in settings. The actual setting may not have changed. The solution is very long drive or as I have done since lockdown one putting the Macan on one of these every night.

[url][/url]

I had a BMW once that failed its MOT as the garage had run the battery down so much the indicators no longer worked if engine not running. Fortunately, I spotted them working as the car returned from test station they had driven it to and the was a very embarrassed dealer and tester.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

pmg wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:48 pm

I had a BMW once that failed its MOT as the garage had run the battery down so much the indicators no longer worked if engine not running. Fortunately, I spotted them working as the car returned from test station they had driven it to and the was a very embarrassed dealer and tester.
I didn't know indicators on BMWs worked at all :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I’ve not seen a white light but probably the longest they have been left is 1.5-2 weeks.

The 992 did lock me out with a dead battery in the early days after just 3 days but that turned out to be a fault with the tracker
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

AndyC160 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:10 pm Car sitting not being driven- So how long do others batteries last before the white low battery warning - go for an extended drive- light comes on? Mine lasted 3 weeks and two days. Struggled to open the car with the remote. Not sure why it just decided to work when it did? After multiple attempts the driver's door and boot opened. Some of the comfort and locking settings have gone weird - remote only opens boot and driver's door. Think I can change this in settings. Also, seat and steering wheel don't adjust when getting in and out. Again, I think this can be fixed in the settings. Seat memory position needed to be set aswell. Strange how these things get changed.
If you alter the display in the MFD to the one showing oil pressure/temperature etc., it's possible to add battery voltage to the screen. Depending on how many features you have already selected you may need to delete one to make way. When you turn the ignition on it will probably show a voltage of 11.6-11.8 indicating a well discharged battery. The extended drive necessary to fully charge it from this state is 60-80 miles of relatively fast running. The alternative, as suggested by pmg is a CTEK charger.

The CTEK maximum charge rate is 5A so it will take quite a few hours to fully charge a depleted battery. Putting the car on charge every night is fine if it's garaged but not so easy if it's kept outdoors. In any event, recharging the battery every two to three weeks will keep it in good condition.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

The 3 weeks is the longest I've left it. The car started first time no problem at all. I then took it for a 40 mile drive then another 10 miles about 4 hours later and it started fine without the battery warning light coming on again.

My elise and rs4 are on trickle charge in the garage. The poor Macan is left on the drive...so the answer is...get out and drive it more!
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

[/quote]
If you alter the display in the MFD to the one showing oil pressure/temperature etc., it's possible to add battery voltage to the screen. Depending on how many features you have already selected you may need to delete one to make way. When you turn the ignition on it will probably show a voltage of 11.6-11.8 indicating a well discharged battery. The extended drive necessary to fully charge it from this state is 60-80 miles of relatively fast running. The alternative, as suggested by pmg is a CTEK charger.

The CTEK maximum charge rate is 5A so it will take quite a few hours to fully charge a depleted battery. Putting the car on charge every night is fine if it's garaged but not so easy if it's kept outdoors. In any event, recharging the battery every two to three weeks will keep it in good condition.
[/quote]

Hi Peter,

Can you explain how you can add the battery voltage to the MFD display, as I can’t find this in my owners manual?

Many thanks,

Allan
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Yes, that would be useful to know. I did have a good search in the menus once the car started but couldn't find anything. Thanks
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

The Porsche 'Good to Know' app that mirrors the handbook is useful

Page 310 refers. There are 15 choices that can be in any order in the middle section of the display. I have battery voltage as the 4th

Attached are two screen scrapes from my phone - a somewhat clunky way of sharing this info for which I apologise :)

1st display.jpg

2nd display.jpg

2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Car this morning

mfd.jpg

2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver