Battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Thanks Madelvic.

I've just returned from sitting in the car and going through the process again. What isn't entirely clear from the manual is that this is all controlled from the scroller/button on the right hand arm of the steering wheel. Having scrolled to get the display shown in the picture above, press the button then select "settings". Then select display and you're then able to configure what shows on each line of the MFD.

Anyhow thanks to everyone for making me go out to the car: the voltage reading was 11.5V so it was out with the CTEK charger. By the way, I've got the optional cigarette lighter fitting (you will also need the 10ft extension cable), it's much more convenient than connecting to the under bonnet points.

Connect charger but do not turn on.
Turn on ignition then turn it off again.
Switch on charger within 30S.

I connect it via the window, leaving a small gap. I know that others just feed it through the door or rear hatch and compress the cable within the seals but I prefer not to do that.

The above process will not work if the battery is really low and the protection processes have cut in. You will spot this because the charger will flash the warning that it is not charging. Then it's the under bonnet jump starting points without the option.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Many thanks @On-Track & Madelvic.....unfortunately, my Good to Know - Driver’s Manual only has 306 pages, however, I followed the instructions posted by On-Track and found all the settings described, so I now have my battery voltage displayed 👍👍👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Thanks for that info...I'll have a look later to see if I can get it to work. I like having a boost pressure gauge aswell.
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
pmg

Post by pmg »

AndyC160 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:10 pm I like having a boost pressure gauge aswell.
That screen in the MFD giving water and oil temps, turbo boost plus battery voltage is one of my favourite items of Porsche ownership. I remember being horrified with the first Bangle era BMW I owned with no gauges and just warnings lights which come on only when something has gone wrong. With gauges the first signs of an issue can be spotted and preventative action taken, plus being able to see precisely when the vehicle is up to full operating temperatures
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

pmg wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:43 pm
AndyC160 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:10 pm I like having a boost pressure gauge aswell.
That screen in the MFD giving water and oil temps, turbo boost plus battery voltage is one of my favourite items of Porsche ownership. I remember being horrified with the first Bangle era BMW I owned with no gauges and just warnings lights which come on only when something has gone wrong. With gauges the first signs of an issue can be spotted and preventative action taken, plus being able to see precisely when the vehicle is up to full operating temperatures
Exactly...really essential information if you're interested in looking after a car!
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I agree - that was daft if you are referring to the E60/61 5 series. I used to have a 535d BMW followed by an X5 with the same engine. One of them did have a moving display on the rev counter which would increase the 'red line' as the car got warmer but again you actually want to know what the oil temp is not the water temp before you gave it beans. My RS4 had a lower rev limit until the oil temp (for which there was a gauge) went over 60 or 70 degrees. My AMG E Class (current shape) had the gearbox oil temp too and that took even longer than the engine oil to warm up.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tracky wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:35 pm
I remember being horrified with the first Bangle era BMW I owned with no gauges and just warnings lights which come on only when something has gone wrong.
I agree - that was daft if you are referring to the E60/61 5 series.
No 2009 E91 320D but same period
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

I managed to get the battery voltage reading up on the display but I can't find the boost gauge. Do 2.0 cars have this?

The battery is fine as it was reading 12v stationary and 15.3v on the move.
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Salty

Post by Salty »

Tracky wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:39 pm I’ve not seen a white light but probably the longest they have been left is 1.5-2 weeks.

The 992 did lock me out with a dead battery in the early days after just 3 days but that turned out to be a fault with the tracker
That’s interesting. I’ve just part exchanged my Macan GTS for a 992. After three days in my garage it had a completely dead battery and had to be jump started.
It’s now back at he OPC where they think the cause may be the tracker.
Strange that I never had the problem with my Macan or my 718 Boxster.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Salty wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:20 pm
Tracky wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:39 pm I’ve not seen a white light but probably the longest they have been left is 1.5-2 weeks.

The 992 did lock me out with a dead battery in the early days after just 3 days but that turned out to be a fault with the tracker
That’s interesting. I’ve just part exchanged my Macan GTS for a 992. After three days in my garage it had a completely dead battery and had to be jump started.
It’s now back at he OPC where they think the cause may be the tracker.
Strange that I never had the problem with my Macan or my 718 Boxster.
For me, from what I remember, it was the case that both fobs hadn’t been properly matched to the car so the car was constantly searching for my wife’s fob.

Once that was sorted I’ve not had a problem with that.

Goes in on Monday for the turbo recall
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S