Second hand issues

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Alex_F

Post by Alex_F »

Hi all,

I am looking into buying a second hand Macan, probably a 2016-2018 Macan S. Can anyone advise on particular issues to look out for? Is it likely that some known issues will crop up?

Thanks

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

The two main reported issues are the Transfer Box, and the DPF (diesels).

Occasionally members report leaking Pano roofs.

Otherwise it generally seems a reliable model.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

From my experience and a few others too, engine oil leaks from an over tightened gasket, crankcase if I remember correctly. Sounds minor but isn't; engine out job - took 3 weeks on mine.

My suggestion would be to buy a Macan under 3 years with the remains of the manufacturers warranty OR buy from a Porsche dealer and get two years extended warranty. Huge downside of the extended warranty is the outrageous service costs and the servicing has to be done by Porsche. EG major service inc plugs and gearbox service at 4 years is £1400

If I also remember correctly the extended warranty can be transferred if a private sale but not if through a non-Porsche car dealer

They are complicated beasts and expensive to fix if they go wrong

Good luck with the hunt and don't be put off - just good you are going in with your eyes open
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

On the plus side for buying from an OPC.....depending on mileage they only need serviced approximately every 2 years.....so you can use most of the warranty period without actually paying for an OPC service!......great peace of mind for best part of 2 years

I bought mine with 2 years OPC warranty and next service not due for 17,800 miles! AND, given CV19 restrictions, can’t see me making a dent in that for a while :cry:
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
Alex_F

Post by Alex_F »

Thanks for the replies they are all really helpful.

I am moving to Dublin later this year so need to get one pretty asap so I can own it here for 6 months first and take it with me. Cars over in Ireland are extortionate! An equivalent Macan looking at autotrader and equivalent in Ireland is approx £12k cheaper here. After 3 years we are back in London and I can probably sell it in Ireland for more than I paid here 3 years earlier!

I heard a panoramic roof is pretty essential.

Il keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Madelvic wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:36 am .... EG major service inc plugs and gearbox service at 4 years is £1400...
Sorry to go off topic, but can I just check which OPC quoted that ? Recently bought a GTS for my dad and the major is due now, so just want to confirm I’m not about to be ripped off!
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Scaramanga wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:37 pm
Madelvic wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:36 am .... EG major service inc plugs and gearbox service at 4 years is £1400...
Sorry to go off topic, but can I just check which OPC quoted that ? Recently bought a GTS for my dad and the major is due now, so just want to confirm I’m not about to be ripped off!
I fear all OPCs are the same and I just don't see the value. Quote was Edinburgh. Perth was much the same. Service and brake fluid change was £742 but plugs need changed and gearbox serviced at 40k miles and that was £298 for plugs and £452 for the gearbox. Edinburgh has an Exclusive customer package with 10% discount (though it comes at a cost). Quite a lot of comments in other threads about this. By comparison a major service on an Audi SQ5 is £395 and £90 for brake fluid. Plugs from Design911 are £68 for 6 so that must be £230 to change 6 plugs?
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks for the feedback. Have had some wildly different quotes from different OPCs, which seems quite surprising.

The SQ5 price is amazing by comparison!
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Alex_F wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:11 pm Thanks for the replies they are all really helpful.

I am moving to Dublin later this year so need to get one pretty asap so I can own it here for 6 months first and take it with me. Cars over in Ireland are extortionate! An equivalent Macan looking at autotrader and equivalent in Ireland is approx £12k cheaper here. After 3 years we are back in London and I can probably sell it in Ireland for more than I paid here 3 years earlier!

I heard a panoramic roof is pretty essential.

Il keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again

Make sure you look into the VRT rules carefully for Ireland. I can’t see you will be allowed to drive on a UK registered car for so long in Ireland and then sell it in Ireland without paying VRT and other associated taxes and registering it in Ireland. VRT on a Macan will be a lot of money hence the high selling prices there.
Alex_F

Post by Alex_F »

Hi yeah thanks for the reply. If you own the car for at least 6 months in England you can take it over with you to Ireland and avoid paying VRT when you register it over there. You have a month upon entering the country to register your vehicle. I won't be moving until Q4 so have plenty of time still.
Thanks