Water spots on the hatchback cover

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

yes, that is a very good point and most likely.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Guy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:29 pm
Kleynie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 pm Also, if you do the above, check that there is no water within the rubber grommets themselves as the water could be travelling through from the tailgate structure itself, running down the cables when you open the tailgate.

If water is inside the tailgate then perhaps it is coming from a leaky rear windscreen washer fluid pipe. That was quite a common fault in VW/Audi products of old.

The possibility of a leaking screen washer pipe has already been addressed by the OPC, as they have already had all that pipe work checked over, with the tailgate plastic cover removed, to examine and test all the joints etc., no leaks or evidence of previous leaks discovered.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Ah yes! I should’ve read the whole thread. Same page as well, no excuses!
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Toddie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:34 pm
Guy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:29 pm
Kleynie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 pm Also, if you do the above, check that there is no water within the rubber grommets themselves as the water could be travelling through from the tailgate structure itself, running down the cables when you open the tailgate.

If water is inside the tailgate then perhaps it is coming from a leaky rear windscreen washer fluid pipe. That was quite a common fault in VW/Audi products of old.

The possibility of a leaking screen washer pipe has already been addressed by the OPC, as they have already had all that pipe work checked over, with the tailgate plastic cover removed, to examine and test all the joints etc., no leaks or evidence of previous leaks discovered.
Just wondering if you managed to get it fixed? Mine (2019 model) has been in once due to a very lightly damp patch on the parcel shelf. OPC (Brooklands) booked it in for a week as they said leaks take time to investigate but were done in a few days saying they cleaned out the roof drains.

Like you I haven’t found any water under the boot floor and can’t seem to locate the source apart from its more towards one side in mine. Just don’t want it to eventually cause mould and damp smells. Disappointing to say the least as I have owned cars right from £600 bangers and never had leaks until the Porsche.

CD5B8EEE-8634-49C7-84D6-A5A87108081C.jpeg

Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Sorry I never posted the cure ( I hope ). After having the car for several days, and not getting it to leak, the OPC raised a ticket with Porsche GB who suggested that they sealed the 2 cable ducting pipes like Nuclear Nick suggested, touching wood that seems to have done the trick, as I have had no leaks since that was done.
Dangezza, your water ingress is so much more on one side than mine was, so not sure this is your answer also it looks as though you are talking a lot more water looking @ the luggage cover.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Well fingers crossed that’s fixed it. Yours does line up with the grommets unlike mine so you’re probably right, it may be coming from somewhere else.

It looks worse having taken the parcel shelf into good lighting so I’ll get it booked back in again.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Crikey, the last car I had with a leaky boot was a 2006 Lotus Exige. Fixed by sealing every crevice and joint in the rear with bathroom sealant. Almost expected with a Lotus, but not a Porsche?

When I worked in the Motor Industry, 20 years ago, they had water test booths at some stages of the assembly tracks, to identify such problems before the cars left the factory. Maybe they skip this part now?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
red baron 3

Post by red baron 3 »

I have had the sunroof drainage pipes all cleaned through and no blockage but the water still comes in when the car is outside in persistent rain. Any suggestions please?
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

red baron 3 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:35 pm I have had the sunroof drainage pipes all cleaned through and no blockage but the water still comes in when the car is outside in persistent rain. Any suggestions please?
Red Baron, Does the water come in onto the load bay cover like in my original pictures? In which case I suggest that you seal the 2 cable ducts as talked about in the thread. Or are you getting water in the boot floor?
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Are you parked on a slope or the flat? We have two A class Mercs in the family that can't be parked facing downhill in the rain without filling the spare wheel well!!!