Water spots on the hatchback cover

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Hi there, i am having problems with water marks on the Hatchback load cover in my Macan. see photo attached. My OPC have already had 1 go @ fixing this, wondered if anyone has had a similar issue. The car has a Pano roof and the OPC cleared out the drains in November.

Over the last few days i have had a lot of condensation on the rear window in the hatchback, so much so that the Heated window would not clear it! I had to wipe it clear this morning after 15 mins.

I have had a look in the boot floor by spare wheel and all appears dry, also in the lockers in the boot sides, also dry, anyone had an issue like this before? Any suggestions welcome!

IMG_5127.JPG

2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Seems a bit excessive, but if you’ve no pooling water anywhere (you say you’ve checked bootwell etc) then it may just be lack of use combined with the latest cold / damp weather.

If you dare, go for a long drive with the heating on full to the floor vents and rears full with the rear windows open (and sunroof in tilt)

Just watch out for the covid police!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Have you checked the battery compartment? If there is a leak then water often gathers here which could result in the condensation problems?
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

it can take ages to get rid of moisture in a car that has been wet inside. Get a wee electric fan heater and set it on low with all the windows down about 1cm to let the warm air out. Move the fan around the car and leave for about an hour each time. Obviously make sure the fan is not pointing directly at any trim. I had to do this on my 911 GTS as the rear wiper seal had leaked and the rear parcel shelf was wet. Works a treat and no covid risk!!. As for the stain a good brand of trim cleaner should remove that.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I have just looked @ the battery compartment, & is bone dry, no sign of it ever having been wet. As I lifted the tailgate I had a drip of water fall onto my arm from by the rear wiper area, so I suspect the leak is from that area. I will let the OPC sort it out, that is what warranties are for!
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

So the watermarks on the hatchback cover have returned, the car has now been into the OPC 3 times for rectification of this issue, no visible water anywhere as per my previous posts in this thread. The OPC have had all the drains checked and cleared and say that they are all clear, they have also had the interior of the tailgate apart to check for screen washer leaks, nothing was found. Has anyone on here had a similar issue.

IMG_5159C.jpg

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Seems to coincide with the entry holes for the wiring loom rubber gaiters. Could the water be entering here then onto the roof lining and then dripping onto the parcel shelf? Possible fix might be copious application of silicone grease around the gaiter to hole seal area by prising the gaiter away from the hole and injecting the grease. If not a permanent fix it might prove the concept.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:32 pm Seems to coincide with the entry holes for the wiring loom rubber gaiters. Could the water be entering here then onto the roof lining and then dripping onto the parcel shelf? Possible fix might be copious application of silicone grease around the gaiter to hole seal area by prising the gaiter away from the hole and injecting the grease. If not a permanent fix it might prove the concept.
Nick,
Thanks for that suggestion i will look @ that in daylight, but the headlining has always been bone dry every time it has done it, and there is a layer of foam underneath the cloth, so you would imagine that it would retain the water/show signs of wet even after the event, there are no signs of staining on the headlining. I have never seen these marks wet, when i have noticed them they have always dried out just leaving the stain. So @ the moment all a bit baffling.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I agree, it looks like water is entering via the rubber cable grommets. Maybe just pull them out of the holes, being careful of the wires, smear some clear silicone around them and relocate. This could be a 5 minute cure without another trip to the dealers.

Also, if you do the above, check that there is no water within the rubber grommets themselves as the water could be travelling through from the tailgate structure itself, running down the cables when you open the tailgate.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Kleynie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 pm Also, if you do the above, check that there is no water within the rubber grommets themselves as the water could be travelling through from the tailgate structure itself, running down the cables when you open the tailgate.

If water is inside the tailgate then perhaps it is coming from a leaky rear windscreen washer fluid pipe. That was quite a common fault in VW/Audi products of old.