Beep after locking and dead battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
stuckmojo

Post by stuckmojo »

Hi,

I brought my car home from OPC and heard a beep after locking. Though nothing of it. dead battery.

Called Porsche assistance, jump started and was off.

I checked all doors and beeps again. Single beep.

Will it be dead again? Nothing is connected
2015 Macan S Diesel
1998 911 Carrera 2 Manual
2015 BMW M220i convertible
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

The 'Good to know' app says 'The vehicle cannot be locked if the doors, bonnet and tailgate are not fully closed. A warning signal sounds and a warning message appears on the multi-function display, the hazard warning lights do not flash'

Could be something not properly closed or a faulty sensor. Check no interior lights are on. I fear the battery will go flat again. Let us know.
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
stuckmojo

Post by stuckmojo »

It does it again. I checked everything. Now low battery warning.

Porsche assistance will pick it up on Monday.

Bit annoyed

Adding, when the car was jump started I got an AWD not working fault, which went away when restarted.

It's only been back from OPC, not driven anywhere...
2015 Macan S Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Has the car had regular decent runs, 15 - 20 miles, to charge the battery? Have you had any low battery warnings?

At five years it's very possible that the battery has expired although a CTEK charger might revive it. It's worth using a float charger if the car is getting little use, particularly during lockdowns.

You don't say why the car was at the OPC............
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
stuckmojo

Post by stuckmojo »

I ran it for an hour.

I have a cTek which revived my BMW battery, but I don't think this is the issue. The alternator voltage was spot on and the car has had mostly 150 miles journeys until a couple of weeks back, with stop.start kicking in ok.

I only ever heard that "beep" after picking it up from OPC after a fix on the air suspension. (was just a fuse, apparently - car was sitting weird and had the suspension fault)

Last night - to avoid embarrassing myself - I had a look at every compartment and slammed everything shut. Beeps again. Hazard lights flash so not sure what the problem is. Probably a sensor?

Would a low battery alone cause this issue? It only spent 2 days at OPC so and driven daily before.

The car is now dead again. It's not even unlocking

Adding - if it is a battery that died or went on its way while at OPC - car went in fine - I will be hugely annoyed if they try to charge me for a battery.
Thoughts?
2015 Macan S Diesel
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Unless you have some undetected power drain? As Nick stated, it’s possibly a battery issue, if the original it may well be coming to the end of its useful life, there are several considerations.
The OPC tech may have been drawing power with engine off for some time? (Usual practice should be hook up charging unit)
Following drive home may not have been adequate enough to suitably recharge.
Whilst the alternator is working correctly aging cells are not able to hold their charge.
Current low temperatures reduce battery capacity ( when really cold you can lose up to 30%)

Would suggest you have your CTEK hooked up and see how long to bring it fully back up, if possible just leave it on to keep it conditioned if you have little usage.

If it stops beeping, return to your normal practice, if it reoccurs time for a new battery.
Last edited by MikeM on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
stuckmojo

Post by stuckmojo »

MikeM wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:56 am As Nick stated, it’s possibly a battery issue, if the original it may well be coming to the end of its useful life, there are several considerations.
When at the OPC they may have been drawing power with engine off for some time.
Whilst the alternator is working correctly aging cells are not able to hold their charge.
Current low temperatures reduce battery capacity ( when really cold you can lose up to 30%)

Would suggest you have your CTEK hooked up and see how long to bring it fully back up, if possible just leave it on to keep it conditioned if you have little usage.

If it stops beeping, time for a new battery.
Thanks. Car dead so back to OPC it goes. After running for 1 hour last night it beeped immediately.

The car got used a lot recently, always on long trips. Issue only happened taking it back from OPC so I'd be a bit miffed if they just said - new battery - £300 please.

Would it record every instance of any issue - it should be visible that there was an issue when I picked it up then.

Anyway - hire car coming and Macan into OPC - third time since buying 4 months ago...
2015 Macan S Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

stuckmojo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 am
MikeM wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:56 am As Nick stated, it’s possibly a battery issue, if the original it may well be coming to the end of its useful life, there are several considerations.

Thanks. Car dead so back to OPC it goes. After running for 1 hour last night it beeped immediately.

The car got used a lot recently, always on long trips. Issue only happened taking it back from OPC so I'd be a bit miffed if they just said - new battery - £300 please.

Would it record every instance of any issue - it should be visible that there was an issue when I picked it up then.

Anyway - hire car coming and Macan into OPC - third time since buying 4 months ago...
When batteries fail, they can often fail suddenly and that can be relatively random totally unconnected as to whether the vehicle' s recent length of runs and whether it has been in for service.

When I first started motoring battery replacement was quite common often after a short a period as three years. The last battery I replaced was on a vehicle I kept for 10 years and was done when the car was 6. My last two vehicles where both kept for just 5 years and did not need new batteries. Your Macan appears to be within its 6 the year and is therefore in the window of 3 or 4 years when replacement is likely
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:40 am
stuckmojo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 am

When batteries fail, they can often fail suddenly and that can be relatively random totally unconnected as to whether the vehicle' s recent length of runs and whether it has been in for service.
Yes, and in my experience AGM batteries seem to be more prone to this type of failure.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Running the car for an hour is not necessarily the same as taking the car out for a one hour run. At tickover, the alternator will not generate anything like maximum output.

Initially, your posts indicate a battery well down on charge. Based on my experience with my SD it takes at least an hour's run at cruising speeds to bring the battery up to full charge.

The fact that a fuse in the air suspension circuit had "blown" means that either the fuse expired due to old age or there was an excessive current drain (a continuous current at or close to the fuse capacity will shorten fuse life). This could be what pulled your battery down (though as has been said above at five years the battery could be approaching it's life expiry). Unfortunately, if the OPC found a blown fuse and everything worked after replacing it then that's likely to be the extent of their fault finding.

In an ideal world, the battery should be fully charged up and then "load" tested which will show whether or not the battery is life expired. If the battery is OK then the search will be for a current drain. The reason for the "beep" on locking should be investigated. You said the hazards flashed, did you try the doors to see if the car had actually locked?
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel