What voltage are you at?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Guy

Post by Guy »

On-Track wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Madelvic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:28 pm 11.4 yesterday morning, along with warnings.

This is how I hook up my CTEK using the battery connectors. Cable runs in behind the bonnet and isn't 'nipped' when it is closed
What are the dimensions of the bolt you screw into the positive terminal? Thanks in anticipation.

Not sure that anyone answered this. I used these M8 x 12mm dome head bolts:

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Guy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:06 am
On-Track wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Madelvic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:28 pm 11.4 yesterday morning, along with warnings.

This is how I hook up my CTEK using the battery connectors. Cable runs in behind the bonnet and isn't 'nipped' when it is closed
What are the dimensions of the bolt you screw into the positive terminal? Thanks in anticipation.

Not sure that anyone answered this. I used these M8 x 12mm dome head bolts:

Checked this morning. Confirm M8 x 12mm (length of thread exc bolt head)
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Deleted User 4103

Post by Deleted User 4103 »

I've just checked and my charger is a CTEK 3.6.

Will that be sufficient to keep the battery in my Macan in good condition?
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Tim A wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm I've just checked and my charger is a CTEK 3.6.

Yes. It’s the same one that I use
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tim A wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm I've just checked and my charger is a CTEK 3.6.

It will charge fine just slower. I think the one advantage of the later more powerful models over the 3.6 is they offer the facility to do a once a year regeneration of an AGM battery like those used in a Macan.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

dangezza wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:13 am Just trying to ascertain whether my battery is fine and if my 30 min drives every few days are keeping it topped up (or if I need a new battery or battery maintainer).

Turn the key, the voltage settles to 11.7V, with engine running it seems to be at 15V.

Never seen any low battery warning, but having only had the car 4 months (early 2019 model) I would think the battery should still be in decent shape.

I know from reading up there’s a few factors at play here including the weather which has been barely above 10C past few months and more recently closer to 0C, but at the same time don’t want a expensive battery replacement or alternator for that matter if I can avoid it.
This is totally normal and no cause for concern at all. Mine is nearly always 11.xV when starting, sometimes as low as 10.xV if it's been a few days.

Entirely expected behaviour and no need at all for external charging etc.

Ours just a moment ago...it's typical every week of the year.

IMG_20210215_134709.jpg

---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Thanks to Guy and Madelvic for the bolt information.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Looking back at this, am I right in remembering there are different batteries depending which spec you have?

Air suspension has a bigger battery, right?
---

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

jaffacake wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:32 pm Looking back at this, am I right in remembering there are different batteries depending which spec you have?

Air suspension has a bigger battery, right?
It was the diesel that had the biggest battery (105AH) which is not surprising given the need to turn over a high compression engine. I don't think air suspension makes any difference as the air compressor only operates with the engine running.

Your previous post set me thinking. If the reading on my car dropped to 10.xV "after a few days", I would be wondering what was wrong.

My car hasn't moved in eight weeks. From fully charged the voltage drops to 11.7V after two weeks and 11.5V after four. At that point I recharge the battery. A drop from 11.7V to 10.xV after "a few" days implies a continuous drain. Do you have anything like e.g. a dashcam that is wired to a circuit that stays permanently live?
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Air suspension always operates with the ignition off, every time you open/close a door or the boot it will adjust. When I'm loading up the bikes on the tow bar, it adjust as I go along - no tow bar.

Lots of continuous battery train on this car. The tracker updates the cars location every minute or so and I can use remote functions through the connect app which is also live. Additionally keyless entry will be active for many days before it turns itself off to reduce battery consumption.

If I approach the locked car, open the door and turn on the electrics (without starting the engine) it's typically always 11.xV. Immediately after starting the car it drops to 10.x.

When driving in winter - heated seats/wheel, heated windows/mirrors - I'm always showing 15.xV - I only see the 13.x on rare occasions when no electrics are turned on.

We do a lot of short trips with heated wheel/seats/windows and the tracker/connect are active between drives, but never had any concerns with battery voltage at all. It doesn't really "drop to 11.7V" it's just always there really and I've never had any concern with that - just works.

I asked about different battery sizes as I thought perhaps 11.xV was more normal for my battery/spec than others.
---