What voltage are you at?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
pmg

Post by pmg »

dangezza wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:05 am Sounds like a CTEK charger might be best practice, especially if I cut down to taking the car out once a week, will save a bit on fuel, just won’t be as fun. But if the impending result is a dud battery or worse than I suspect it’ll more than prove it’s worth.

I have a driveway with close access (<2M) to an external power supply. Any feedback on what is a good model to go for in such a scenario?
If only using the car once a week, I would advise making sure you do at least enough miles to get it fully warm i.e oil temp up to 90deg; also items like seals in aircon and turbo's fully lubricated. I do worry about the number of vehicles just being left in garages or on drives or just doing short runs in this lockdown.

on the CTEK's I would make sure you get one that allows you to to an annual regeneration and as an AGM battery setting (the type used in the Macan).

These two both satisfy those criteria. the MXS10 charging quicker than the MXS5. I have the latter and it is still fine.

https://amazon.co.uk/Battery-Automatic- ... B01M7TYFYO

https://amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-10-Automa ... 005O8YG44/

Also, consider whether you will need the extension lead and/or the adapter so you can charge via the cigar lighter socket rather than the under bonnet pins.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Thanks all. The CTEK and Noco models look great. Potentially Noco looks more robust but as always I’ll do some research on what is most suited.

With regards to running it once a week, I always try to give it enough time for oil temp to reach at least 90. Still, sounds like a battery charger would be a worthwhile investment and hopefully avoid those gremlins you can get with the electrics. For me It’s getting the start stop operating as expected. My wife’s new Evoque HSE gets driven even less yet when it does the start stop is working from the first set of traffic lights.
pmg

Post by pmg »

dangezza wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:37 pm Thanks all. The CTEK and Noco models look great. Potentially Noco looks more robust but as always I’ll do some research on what is most suited.

With regards to running it once a week, I always try to give it enough time for oil temp to reach at least 90. Still, sounds like a battery charger would be a worthwhile investment and hopefully avoid those gremlins you can get with the electrics. For me It’s getting the start stop operating as expected. My wife’s new Evoque HSE gets driven even less yet when it does the start stop is working from the first set of traffic lights.
I have been doing about 25 to 40 miles once a week and found after a placed the car on my CTEK when home, the operation of all marginal electrical features like comfort access was more reliable as automatic battery protection hardly now kicks in.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

I ended up getting a Noco genius 10 as the increased versatility (also does lithium) and the warranty seems better (3 years Noco vs 2 years CTek). Also was slightly put off by some people having problems with the mode button on the CTek. Doubt I’d go wrong with either but will get it on the car once the clouds part and check voltage with the multimeter before I start.

Already done the wife’s car earlier that went from 50-100% in a little over 2 hours.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

My CTEK MX5 has a 5 year warranty on it, which was one or the reasons I bought it.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Obviously didn’t do enough research as that would have probably swayed me to get that one with the cig adapter bundle and save a few pennies. Strangely though the mxs 10 has just 2 year warranty and was comparing the 2 higher amp versions.

Still the Noco seemed great earlier. Will see what charging state the Macan comes up at as from the MFD and other owners comments,11.6V im seeing on ignition and 15V with engine running sounds like the battery needs a charge.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

11.4 yesterday morning, along with warnings.

This is how I hook up my CTEK using the battery connectors. Cable runs in behind the bonnet and isn't 'nipped' when it is closed

IMG_2311.JPG

2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

That's a really neat installation.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Is there a fuse in the live lead? I’d be a little nervous with an unprotected live cable if it isn’t fused close to the connection point.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Will check tomorrow Nick - don't think so - and if not I'll add one as close to the +ve terminal as possible

Good shout
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver