Both Remote Key Fobs not unlocking the car??

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
rdarsa

Post by rdarsa »

Hi,

I have a 2017 Macan GTS. Not keyless entry.

I have changed both batteries on the key fob, and too occasionally I find that neither key will unlock the car.

I can see that the key is communicating with the car, because the red LED flashes on the top of the drivers door, in time with me holding the key fob button.

I am getting bored using the emergency key, does anyone know why I am having this issue.

I am not near any cell sites or radio towers, I have never had this problem before and have owned it from new.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Richard.

pmg

Post by pmg »

What sort of journeys have you been doing in lockdown? What voltage does the car electrics show in the MFD?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

What condition is the car battery in?
Is this an issue pre lockdown or post lockdown on a car that has been sitting unused for a while?
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Did you change the key fob batteries because of the problem?

Have you used good quality batteries??
rdarsa

Post by rdarsa »

The car has been used a reasonable amount - at least a couple of hours a week on half hour journeys. And yes the batteries in the fobs were changed just in case to decent Panasonic ones. So its a bit of mystery, There is plenty of juice to turn over the engine so I doubt its the car battery.
pmg

Post by pmg »

rdarsa wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:56 pm The car has been used a reasonable amount - at least a couple of hours a week on half hour journeys. And yes the batteries in the fobs were changed just in case to decent Panasonic ones. So its a bit of mystery, There is plenty of juice to turn over the engine so I doubt its the car battery.
Not necessarily true. On modern cars like the Macan, they have battery projection programs which start to turn off over electrical services like remote opening, comfort seats etc well before battery charge falls to level it cannot start the car so that issue of not being able to start is present. Do look at the electrical voltage level if below 12 there could be the issue. A half-hour journey may not be enough to restore the initial drain of starts during the journey and this builds up over time.

I have found that during lockdown when I have been doing about 30 miles once a week and put the Macan back in my garage at say 5pm on a CTEK charger, the battery will not be showing fully charged sometimes by 10 pm and full charge lights only present next morning
rdarsa

Post by rdarsa »

pmg wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:31 pm
rdarsa wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:56 pm The car has been used a reasonable amount - at least a couple of hours a week on half hour journeys. And yes the batteries in the fobs were changed just in case to decent Panasonic ones. So its a bit of mystery, There is plenty of juice to turn over the engine so I doubt its the car battery.
Not necessarily true. On modern cars like the Macan, they have battery projection programs which start to turn off over electrical services like remote opening, comfort seats etc well before battery charge falls to level it cannot start the car so that issue of not being able to start is present. Do look at the electrical voltage level if below 12 there could be the issue. A half-hour journey may not be enough to restore the initial drain of starts during the journey and this builds up over time.

I have found that during lockdown when I have been doing about 30 miles once a week and put the Macan back in my garage at say 5pm on a CTEK charger, the battery will not be showing fully charged sometimes by 10 pm and full charge lights only present next morning
Thank you, I can't seem to find the Volts on the dash system? - Will the Macan charge using a CTEK using the inside 12V socket, like it does on my 997?
pmg

Post by pmg »

rdarsa wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:39 pm
pmg wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Thank you, I can't seem to find the Volts on the dash system? - Will the Macan charge using a CTEK using the inside 12V socket, like it does on my 997?
The last post from "Madelvic" on the 1st page of this thread shows you how to get to have voltage displayed in MFD

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10468

Normally Yes you can use the lighter socket. However, there is some procedure on how you turn things off to get around the socket going dead when ignition turned off and it possible not working when battery very low. As I personally use the under bonnet connections I have never learnt it. but the 1st post from "Ontrack" on the 2nd page of the above describes it and the issues
rdarsa

Post by rdarsa »

Brilliant, thanks for all the help - I will get that battery topped up and conditioned and keep my fingers crossed, and my emergency key at the ready!
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Plug in the CTek to the lighter socket in the boot and turn on before locking the car. I find this works.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White