Extended warranty? Porsche or AN Other.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As Kitty is approaching her 5th birthday and the Porsche extended warranty - which for the past 12 months has had little opportunity to be tested, but that’s another issue - is about to expire.

So, do I extend again with Porsche or are there recommended alternatives? If so, what are they and how do they compare?

Thanks. Mike
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Personally, if I didn't go for a Porsche extended warranty, I would just take the risk. All forum experiences seem to indicate that a non dealer warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
A bit like travel insurance, they will find every way to get out of paying.
I actually think the Porsche warranty is not bad value at around £1400 for 2 years. My F-Type Jaguar warranty is £1100 per year😳
That probably indicates the reliability of the product though😉
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
Guy

Post by Guy »

I too have always thought that the Porsche extended warranty seemed good value; I extended at both 3 and 5 year point.

Not sure about third party warranties, but the ability to 'cash in' the balance of the warranty on the sale of the car (to a non-Porsche trader) was a useful bonus, especially as I sold my car just a month and a half after the 5 year extension!
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I've just extended mine for years 6&7. I had the sunroof blockage sorted last year and a new unit in the PDLS headlight so decent value in my book. I was going to chop mine in but I've decided to keep it for at least 2 more years as at 72k it's done the worst of its depreciation and I'm mulling getting an EV Macan which should be out in the next 2 years.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

The big even huge downside on the Porsche warranty is it ties you to Porsche servicing. So it’s not really £1400 more like double when you add in rip-off Porsche service pricing

I too am wondering about third party warranties. Certainly AVOID RAC. Just look at their shocking reviews
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Madelvic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:21 pm The big even huge downside on the Porsche warranty is it ties you to Porsche servicing. So it’s not really £1400 more like double when you add in rip-off Porsche service pricing

I too am wondering about third party warranties. Certainly AVOID RAC. Just look at their shocking reviews
Interesting re being tied to Porsche. I have been led to understand that servicing can be undertaken elsewhere PROVIDED genuine parts are used.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

Dandock wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Madelvic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:21 pm The big even huge downside on the Porsche warranty is it ties you to Porsche servicing. So it’s not really £1400 more like double when you add in rip-off Porsche service pricing

Interesting re being tied to Porsche. I have been led to understand that servicing can be undertaken elsewhere PROVIDED genuine parts are used.

You've been led incorrectly. The extended warranty requires servicing at an OPC. The manufacturer's warranty for the first 3 years allows you to service elsewhere.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

thewanted wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 pm

You've been led incorrectly. The extended warranty requires servicing at an OPC. The manufacturer's warranty for the first 3 years allows you to service elsewhere.
Ah. Perhaps I'm confusing servicing with random replacements etc - eg brakes etc.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

thewanted wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 pm

I had new pads and discs fitted by my local garage on the first lockdown and the OPC had no issue when I told them afterwards. I just made sure they used OEM parts, Brembo IIRC.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

Servicing generally refers to the scheduled maintenances, not things like brakes, dampers etc.

From what I know you can have those done outside of the OPC network as long as they use OEM parts.