DIY replacement of ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (multiple dash error)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

Coming up on 6 years now and beside the *shush* transfer box, all is well. Apart from a complete failure two weeks ago.

Suddenly received every failiure on the dash lights. 4WD, PSM, Gearbox.... Limp mode only.

Luckily was at home so - small mercies.

Read the forums and was pointed to battery. Made sense : coming up on 6 years and covid meant the last 12 months were not good for the car with few and low mile journeys.

So - battery replaced with a new 105Ah AGM020. Successfully coded using an Autel Maxi Maxi AP200 (recommended at £50). No avail - still a litany of chrsitmas lights on the binnacle. Luckliy the AP200 allows you to look at live data also and from here I saw there was no speed signal from the front left ABS sensor. A little digging around and that is also a suspect item so Bournemouth kindly posted me a new one (95B927803B) for £32.

Two days later - installed in 5 minutes (really) - another 10 minutes to erase codes and all is well again.

Below images if anyone wants to try. No need to jack or take wheel off. Again really - I know some instructions say you CAN do certain things without moving parts but in this instance you really can. OK the bolt is a bit out of direct sight but you can easily feel your way.

So the front sensors are at the front of the hub. I was changing FRL so left lock on to access from the front.

the sensor is then here, centre of the image at the bottom of the cable

release the dreaded locking doodah from above with a screwdriver and pulling the tip to the front. Then a 5mm hex to remove. I found an allen key to work best as a socket with extension fouled.

Wiggle the old sensor out and replacement is a reverse procedure. Once the cable is attached again, plug in the AP200 under the steering wheel and erase codes - good to go for me! Here is the AP200 - thoroughly recommended

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Pictures don't seem to be working.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

hmmm. cant find how to edit....
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

try it this way..

Coming up on 6 years now and beside the *shush* transfer box, all is well. Apart from a complete failure two weeks ago.

Suddenly received every failiure on the dash lights. 4WD, PSM, Gearbox.... Limp mode only.

Luckily was at home so - small mercies.

Read the forums and was pointed to battery. Made sense : coming up on 6 years and covid meant the last 12 months were not good for the car with few and low mile journeys.

So - battery replaced with a new 105Ah AGM020. Successfully coded using an Autel Maxi Maxi AP200 (recommended at £50). No avail - still a litany of chrsitmas lights on the binnacle. Luckliy the AP200 allows you to look at live data also and from here I saw there was no speed signal from the front left ABS sensor. A little digging around and that is also a suspect item so Bournemouth kindly posted me a new one (95B927803B) for £32.

Two days later - installed in 5 minutes (really) - another 10 minutes to erase codes and all is well again.

Below images if anyone wants to try. No need to jack or take wheel off. Again really - I know some instructions say you CAN do certain things without moving parts but in this instance you really can. OK the bolt is a bit out of direct sight but you can easily feel your way.

So the front sensors are at the front of the hub. I was changing FRL so left lock on to access from the front.

wheel.jpg

the sensor is then here, centre of the image at the bottom of the cable

loc.jpg

release the dreaded locking doodah from above with a screwdriver and pulling the tip to the front. Then a 5mm hex to remove. I found an allen key to work best as a socket with extension fouled.

allen.jpg

Wiggle the old sensor out and replacement is a reverse procedure. Once the cable is attached again, plug in the AP200 under the steering wheel and erase codes - good to go for me! Here is the AP200 - thoroughly recommended

odb.jpg

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Good write up 👍🏻
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

AP200 sounds interesting, can it do other functions like retract the rear brake pistons/electronic hand brake?

I might buy one so I can do a battery replacement, mine is 7 years old now!
Guy

Post by Guy »

jonnydrama wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:52 am AP200 sounds interesting, can it do other functions like retract the rear brake pistons/electronic hand brake?

Lots of discussion about the AP200 on the US site: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/repl ... st-2627448

It does look a great bit of kit.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Looks like you can, decent tool that. I just paid someone else to do my rear brake pads yesterday as I couldn't find a reasonably priced tool.

Where did you pick up your AP200 from? I just ordered one from Autelstore.co.uk but the paypal invoice came through in a chinese name rather than the shop name which is concerning, hopefully not a fake...
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

Yes autelstore.co.uk.

£45 delivered. Think it was from China but only a few days and all kosher.

Yes it can do brakes and a lot more. Much more functionality than my autel maxidiag I use on the 997. AP200 will be set for one manufacturer when registered ( and so I can use it on both macan and 911).
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

jonnydrama wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:52 am AP200 sounds interesting, can it do other functions like retract the rear brake pistons/electronic hand brake?

Yes - originally got it for the battery change. All of the information I read about my Christmas tree lights was that the battery was on it's way out. Seemed reasonable at 6-years old.

The ap200 does a fine job of registering the battery. I just used the existing numbers from the varta battery and added one to the final number in the battery code.

For me however it wasn't a battery fault but was an abs speed sensor which again the ap200 showed by looking at live data which showed that one of the the sensors was registering 0 volts.

Note on replacing the battery - I added a spare battery to the points under the bonnet to make sure that none of the memory was lost when I die coupled the battery in the boot.

WARNING - when you decouple the battery in the boot the cables may still be live because of the spare battery attached to the front. In this case make sure that the the cables are are protected from touching any metal work