DIY replacement of ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (multiple dash error)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Nice one, cheers for the info!

oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Great write up thanks!

You say that you "added one to the battery code" - could you just explain that a bit more? The existing Varta battery would be coded into the vehicle. Is that the same code that's printed on the battery, or is the code displayed your vehicle specific and you just took a pot-shot at adding one?

Hopefully next month I will be reunited with my MY18 Macan S which has been sitting in a garage in France for a year waiting for me to return it to UK for an MOT! Obviously the original battery is totally bug***ed. Some people here have suggested I give it a try with my C-tek conditioner and of course I will, but expecting to have to start again with a brand new battery, this gadget looks like it might be my saviour.

If I could just pick up a new battery locally and install it as you suggest, can I expect issues as the car will be dead initially? Would connecting a "spare" battery to the under-bonnet terminals be any use in this situation?

Thanks for any more advice!
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

If the battery is dead then you won't need to do anything at the front as the memories will be lost already.

The code is printed on the original battery. If it is BHU62738262 then simply make the new one BHU62738263 in the ap200
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

I'm going to ask a stupid question now, does the new battery not come with a code on it that you can use?
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

only if you get one from porsche I think.

when I got my battery from the factors they had never heard of a battery code...

I think Audi started it all off - remember having to do the same on my A8 some years back - royal pain...
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

That makes sense, I wonder if you can just re-use the same code if you buy the exact same spec of battery.
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

No point. The Bem alters the charge rate and voltage depending on the age and other factors. Using the same number would make the Bem think you still have the old battery and so would treat it like it was in it's way out. Resulting in battery short life. Better not using a code at all I think in that case
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

A good write up of battery replacement over on pelican:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... amming.htm
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

and another one on wheel sensors (doh!)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Earlier this week, experienced the exact same fault with my wife's VW Tiguan. On start-up every safety system warning light came up together with a message (for each system) saying it was no longer available. As it happens, the car was already booked in for its last service before expiration of warranty so just rang the dealer and added this problem to the other work. Fault turned out to be caused by an ABS speed sensor failure.

Reason for posting is I can't see why a single point failure should disable all the car's safety system. I don't know whether this is just confined to VW Group software or is universal.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel