Sunroof drain and PDK oil change costs

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Maverick25

Post by Maverick25 »

Hi all,

2017 Macan GTS

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this;
I’ve taken my car in for repair on an oil leak at the top of the engine which involved the engine to be removed and reinstalled. Car is a few months out of warranty but Porsche are paying 80% of repair.

I’ve asked for a new warranty which involves 111 point check to be undertaken which has brought up the below:

Other/miscellaneous £351.00
O/S/F and O/S/R sunroof drain slow and not draining as expected, Requires x4 drains clearing/ re-working and testing.Required for warranty extension.

I’m not sure what this involves but experience with drain clearing usually involves just cleaning the seals and removing dirt. Do you think this cost is justified and could I resolve this issue myself?

I knew ‘some’ extra costs would materialise because that’s the way it is! I’ve had the car from new and it’s nearly 4 years old.

Also the pdk needs a 40,000 mile oil change at a cost of £571.

Car was serviced 6 weeks ago.

Thoughts on whether I let Porsche do the work at these costs or I go independent.

I’m based in south Oxfordshire.

Thanks so much.

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Clearing the drains involves removing the wheel arch liners and clearing the ends of the drains (and in some cases, cutting off the end of the rear drains. You could also try pushing a brake inner cable through the front drains but you can't get to the rear ones from the top.....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

On the oil leak, seems that this is fairly common and generally fixed under warranty when the car is in warranty. Sounds like Porsche is 'punishing' you for not taking out an extended warranty.....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Maverick25

Post by Maverick25 »

Sounds like it. I never received any notification or the option to extend the warranty and with not driving the car during lockdown it wasn’t on my mind.

Hey ho!
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I’d have a go at the sunroof drains yourself. Or find an Indy to do it
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

When my OPC cleared my drains out under warranty, they told me that the rear drains can only be accessed by lowering the rear roof lining!
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Just had my pdk oil change done at my local OPC for £430 so worth shopping around. Pano roof drains first off test them to see how bad they really are. I followed this vid last week and all ok now.

hth
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Connoisseur wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 pm Just had my pdk oil change done at my local OPC for £430 so worth shopping around. Pano roof drains first off test them to see how bad they really are. I followed this vid last week and all ok now.

hth
Great video
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Connoisseur wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 pm Pano roof drains first off test them to see how bad they really are. I followed this vid last week and all ok now.
Thanks for posting that, very useful. I might put the hot soapy water down the drains each month to help prevent any build up.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Maverick25

Post by Maverick25 »

Connoisseur wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 pm Just had my pdk oil change done at my local OPC for £430 so worth shopping around. Pano roof drains first off test them to see how bad they really are. I followed this vid last week and all ok now.

hth
That’s really helpful! I’ll give that a go. Thanks for posting.