Sunroof drain and PDK oil change costs

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Alfanut wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:31 am Thanks for posting that, very useful. I might put the hot soapy water down the drains each month to help prevent any build up.
Good idea👍 First time you do the job it’s also worth getting your hand in under the bumper and freeing any gunk in the drain outlet….

rosino

Post by rosino »

I also had both issues on mine. The oil leak was discovered whilst doing the 2yr service, and indeed it was an engine out job. Crazy if you think about it. Tech told me they had quite a few of those across the range, Turbo included (mine). And that the new seal allegedly was an improved design.

The drain was an advisory at the last service, and I was also surprised about the cost quoted. I still have not got round to getting it done..
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I was told by my OPC that there are 4 drains for the sunroof, ie 2 forward & 2 @ rear, is this correct? The video posted only shows clearing the rear drains, can someone clarify for me please?
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Clarity - yes there are four roof drains on cars with the pano roof, two front and two rear. Only the two at the front can be accessed at the roof level and ‘rodded’ thro to keep clear.

The two at the rear are much more susceptible to water ingress in the rear pillars and boot area because they carry relatively more water away and leaves and gunk etc naturally gravitates rearward so block the rear tubes.

Open your roof to see the two front drains and clear them. You can’t see the two rear, but they need more attention. Hence the video is addressing the Macan vulnerability with rear drains. The front drains are v straightforward, the rears not. hth
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Question.

Has anyone tried to feed a Borescope down the drain channels?

If so was it successful or not?

To possibly save some of you Googling a Borescope is a small version of an Endoscope camera and they are available pretty cheaply on the likes of Amazon.

Thought I would ask before I order one as my Macan is due a garage visit shortly.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

The channel is too small for the borescopes that you can buy on eBay.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
pmg

Post by pmg »

CharlesElliott wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 am The channel is too small for the borescopes that you can buy on eBay.
And the size of the channel is the probably the reason they block!! ;) ;) ;)
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I would double check this before attempting any alterations but OPC mechs is spoke to said the issue with the panos drains blocking were generally on older models and they remedied it by snipping the bottom of the drain plugs where the cr*p tends to block. They said it narrows for some reason and that it had been changed on later models.
They said it's getting to these is the problem as they aren't obvious.
Regular flushing helps as well!!!
TonyZed

Post by TonyZed »

I cleared all my drains, front and rear, from the top without removing anything else. I used thick cable and hot water. Last thing was a good squirt of WD40.
They all run freely now.
Plummie2

Post by Plummie2 »

I found water dripping from top of both windscreen pillars and interior mirror area soaking both front and rear carpets? checked all four drain holes by introducing water, flowed nicely away. Water ingress noticed shortly after our move to a new property which has a slight slope up to the garage. This change in the vehicle’s parking attitude made me think may be in heavy rain the rear drain holes were being overwhelmed, but the water was entering at the front of the vehicle , what was going on? On Googling I found information suggesting the pan-roof cassette was building up water at the rear section overwhelming the front drain holes forcing the build up of water to find another route i.e; front pillars and mirror, and because it was parked on a slope it also found it’s way to the rear foot wells. My answer to the problem, not a fix, turn the car round so it faces down my drive rather than up, this transfers the build up of water to the front of the pan-roof cassette allowing it to flow away safely, end of problem, well sort of, because I still have to remember to park this way if out in rain in a hilly area. I believe this is the real problem in the main, but of course blocked drain hole(s) will cause a similar problem on the flat and exacerbate a similar problem to mine. Just one other thing, if the pan-roof is 1 mm out of adjustment at the front it won’t help, when closing I give it a slight push to, I like to thing this helps? It is my belief Porsche KNOW what the real cause is, but to rectify they would have to introduce a new MODIFIED (probably used in late vehicles) cassette assembly to all effected vehicles costing the company thousands of pounds!!