Problems with Instrument cluster/rev counter

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
robbie

Post by robbie »

Hi all, I handed over my car to our local OPC in Tewkesbury for yet another oil change on Tuesday (Approx 1,500 miles/1yr since the last one) and they noticed that the rev counter needle was dropping to 'Below Zero' whilst on their test drive. On collection I also noticed that the recorded mileage was actually lower than when it had its 2yr first service last December.... They told me the whole instrument cluster needs to be replaced under warranty and that they will investigate why there is a drop in the recorded mileage, albeit only a few hundred miles have gone AWOL!

They now have the parts and I handed over the car this morning.

Has any other Gen2 owners seen problems with their Rev counter/loss of mileage? When you look at the Rev counter the needle is just going all over the place but mainly just drops to below the Zero for a couple of seconds and then picks up again, all very strange.

Just posting my experience so you can check your REV counters as this would be a costly repair outside warranty me thinks................. :shock:
Robbie
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

No issues here but I've done 18k miles in 22 months with only 1 oil change. You haven't spent a lot if time in reverse, perchance? 😆
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
robbie

Post by robbie »

:) :) Not much reversing honest, however it has had 7 months under a cover whilst on SORN, I had thought the engine oil monitoring system might have picked up that the car hadn't moved and extended my oil change date. These engines do not like very low mileage/short journeys so oil tends to get changed every 12 months on mine, have now done 6,600 miles since new and on my 3rd oil change!

Re the Instrument cluster, The OPC tells me they are not allowed to strip it down, it has to be sent back to Germany who then investigate what went wrong, we will never know the outcome but hopefully other Gen2 Macan owners should at least keep an eye on their Rev Counters whilst still under warranty, if mine can fail then it could happen to others! It just didn't like being off the road for 7 months...…………….
The mileage error was purely admin, they recorded the wrong mileage at the 2yr service!!
All sorted now
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Had a similar experience re oil change monitor with a friends Macan just by virtue of the fact that it was not used for 2 months aside from his daughter starting the engine to give the battery a boost ( not the best practice!) the oil change warning triggered, the car hadn’t actually moved. This is a really poor aid to drive additional not required service. When we go EV I do wonder what they will concoct as needed services.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

It seems cars are made to be driven, that circulates oil and other lubricants keeping parts coated and seals supple, I don't suppose this is any more true for Porsches than other makes but it seems to be the expectation, reasonable in my view, that a moderately used car needs less maintenance than a stationary museum exhibit. I think you'll find the same applies to your legs, leave them unused for a couple of months and see what happens!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP