Air con not working on passenger side

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

The air con in my car is poor: struggles to cool the car. I've just realised it blows chilled air on the drivers side but doesn't chill the air at all on the passenger side or in the rear.

I'm surprised by this. Any knowledge of what might be wrong?

(This is with the car on A/C Max)

Thanks......
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Madelvic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 pm The air con in my car is poor: struggles to cool the car. I've just realised it blows chilled air on the drivers side but doesn't chill the air at all on the passenger side or in the rear.

Thanks......
Have you tried it in Auto mode, with Synch switched on, and setting the temp to something low e.g. 17 degrees?

Also, you can set the airflow to low, medium or high in PCM settings.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Makanik wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:52 pm
Madelvic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 pm The air con in my car is poor: struggles to cool the car. I've just realised it blows chilled air on the drivers side but doesn't chill the air at all on the passenger side or in the rear.

Thanks......
Have you tried it in Auto mode, with Synch switched on, and setting the temp to something low e.g. 17 degrees?

Also, you can set the airflow to low, medium or high in PCM settings.
Thanks

Yes both A/C Max and A/C on, fans flat out, both dials reading “Lo”

I measured the temp on both sides. Passenger side went up initially as it was blowing warm air and don’t drop. Drivers side dropped about 11 degrees in 5 minutes

6CDCAABD-BEAE-4D8F-87C8-50DD09C64B76.png

A24020E9-A1D9-442A-A922-D8E3BD331F97.png

Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Use sync. I had some observations when first purchased and OPC explained something about centre vents not working independently for temp/fan. ….. sorry, can’t remember the detail. May have noted here on thread.

A little disappointing too….
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

The results in your graphs don’t look quite right, although you wouldn’t have been in Auto mode.

It would be interesting to see how the graphs look with both Auto and Synch switched on, and drivers side temp set to lo.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Makanik wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:41 pm The results in your graphs don’t look quite right, although you wouldn’t have been in Auto mode.

It would be interesting to see how the graphs look with both Auto and Synch switched on, and drivers side temp set to lo.
Well just tried this, checking I'm not being stupid. Dash shows outside temp of 23.5 degrees, but inside of car 30. This is Scotland at 9pm!!!

Sync on, recirculation on. Drivers side set to Lo (passenger side mirror this). Fan turned full up.

TI sensor in passenger vent. Temp dropped to 24 degrees in about 4 minutes

Moved the sensor to the drivers side (not changing anything in the car), and it dropped to 17 degrees in 2 minutes

So drivers side def cooler than passenger side.

Then moved the sensor back to the passenger side and the temp went UP by 5 degrees

Back to the drivers side and it dropped again to 15 degrees. The was engine running for 8 and half minutes

Each time I moved it the graph was levelling out, but not bottomed out. Will call the OPC. Could be a regassing issue or I think more likely a fault. There must be separate condensers for each of the zones

IMG_3189.PNG

Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Was there anyone sitting in the actual seats?
The car knows if the seats are occupied and it might be that the aircon simply doesn't cool unoccupied seats.
The car assuming that the drivers seat is occupied??
Just a thought.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:57 pm Was there anyone sitting in the actual seats?
The car knows if the seats are occupied and it might be that the aircon simply doesn't cool unoccupied seats.
The car assuming that the drivers seat is occupied??
Just a thought.
Not last night but was out with the better half when I realised her side was warm

Thanks for the thought
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Final update

Booked the car into the local OPC, they've tested the system for leaks and regassed free-of-charge under the extended warranty and it is now working.

Also fixed under warranty the rattle in the drivers door (don't know why I didn't get it attended to ages ago) and what a joy. Also fixed a shoogly (Good Scottish word) / wobbly drivers door mirror that they had declined to fix previously!

All in all good service though they noted one tyre had a small but deep cut. Two tyres from Kwik-Fit and two damaged wheels - first time. Grrrrrrrrr!