Parcel Shelf cord issues?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
thealbs

Post by thealbs »

Hi

First time post here... and am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue?

I have a late 2018 Macan and the cord which lifts the parcel shelf when the tailgate opens has become detached on both sides. The grip which keeps the loop together seems too weak to keep the cord tight and eventually the cord works itself loose and starts to fray. This has now happened on both sides, which makes me think this may be a common issue perhaps?

We never put anything on top of the parcel shelf but do remove it on a regular basis to carry large loads, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Also,. does anyone know how to fix this? The cord appears to be permanently fixed into the shelf itself, so I would need to forcibly remove it to replace it entirely with something more substantial.

Thanks in advance for nay insight from this forum.

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

My parcel shelf has been in and put a good few times but no apparent issues, if I were you my first port of call would be the warranty, no harm in trying!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
thealbs

Post by thealbs »

Thanks - will do !
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

That’s a new one on me, had two now with parcel shelves frequently removed and never a problem. Have you had the car from new? It could be that a previous owner was heavy handed or you’ve just been unlucky to have some poor quality cord fixing.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6